How to raise kids when parents have different beliefs?

My husband attends Church of Christ and I am Christian but not like him. His church does not celebrate holidays and take communion every sunday. They do not believe that woman can lead the service or have any power over it. I come from a church where we all have a place and no one is deemed to be in one certain place. We both read from the same bible but they tend in my opinion take a scripture and lead to their own understanding. My church has food theirs does not but kids can be fed in the sanctury. I am lost on how to raise the kid we have and the ones God may place in out union.

Right now our son comes in the morning with me and evening with him.

P.S I have visited my husband church but he has never come to mine . Because his believe that they can only worship with their church.

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 2:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Ok, so U have different doctrinal beliefs, not a different faith. So here's what I would do: I would talk to my husband and if possible, mutually agree to fast and pray that God would keep your ears open to hearing what he has to say, not what either of U want him to say to U but simply the truth. Then, after doing that for however long God leads you, I would write down everything you both believe on seperate peices of paper... If the beliefs match up, then great.... you don't have to tarry on those particulars... If they don't, I would do some serious Bible study with my husband, the both of you keeping open ears to God, and pray that God reveals what his word truly says about the issue. Don't let this be adividing point in your marriage, instead, let in bring you closer together and closer to God... You are to be equally yoked- oxen have to learn to match the other's pace sometimes when pulling a cart.... same in marriage.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:43 AM on Nov. 7, 2010

• IMO: This should have been talked about together LLLLOOONNNGGG before marriage and kids.

NOw, I think you two should sit together and decide what is best between the both of you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i completly agree with the above statement,
    good luck hun
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• That is strange to me that you did not talk about it before, but all I can think of is to make sure that you are both able to explain to your son what you believe and kind of let him decided what he thinks. It will be hard because he is so young but I have no other ideas.
    Jenandrylee

Answer by Jenandrylee at 2:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• That is difficult...I hope that you are reading from the King James...Now, having said that if you and your husband are both saved and want your child to know Jesus, show him at home...that's where it starts...Maybe, you and your husband should pray and fast...seek God..ask Him where you can be a family in worship and fellowship...Study your Bible together..Your husband is the head of your home and as long as he is not teaching and leading you and your family according to God's word..I would encourage you to pray and seek God's wisdom and guidance...also, take your concerns to your husband...Speak to your husband "softly" Proverbs 15:1 A soft answer turneth away wrath; but grievous word stir up anger...
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Ok so he does 'celebrate' holidays to an extent. His church is in the evening, has communion every week and believes women are not religious leaders. Your church is in the morning, does communion once a week (I am assuming this) and allows women to be religious leaders.

So what's the problem? Just take your kids to both church services and let them pick when they are older. The differences you have mentioned are not major ones.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Sounds to me like he is judgemental and so his his church. We are Lutheran and we don't say you can only worship at our church. A church is people not a building. As long as there are two people you can worship.
    kansasmom1978

Answer by kansasmom1978 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I agree this should have been cleared up before the wedding. "How can two walk together except they be agreed?" (Amos 3:3)

Pray,pray,and pray some more for guidance.God can and will fix the situation. The Biblical way to handle this is to submit to your husband's leadership. This doesn't mean worshiping contrary to your conscience, but to respect your husband's desire to teach your children his faith. I will pray that the Lord will work this out for His glory.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:02 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• I have always been going to church and he is work so much that he misses church from being out of town. So when he said Christian I ASSumed that all christain were the same , we read from the same bible and general beliefs were the same. In going forward for the marriage all things were find then he began to get back into church a year ago and never did he or tell me that he did not celebrate holidays. we have gone to his family's house for different holidays.
    karing4elmas

Comment by karing4elmas (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We are teaching them about all religions and they can make up their own minds when they want to.
    ZandCsmom1968

Answer by ZandCsmom1968 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010