what do u do for a picky eater?

my 3 yr old heard my neighbor's boy saying "i dont like it"and now she says it all the time. even for things i know she likes or likes enough to eat it. my neighbor says "oh, its really a phycological issue for him and it started about the age ur dd is now" BS my dd has never acted like this until she saw him doing it. and now idk what to do. i dont have the money to fix her a diff meal than everyone else. gah!! plz help

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 2:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do what you have always done and tell her that so and so might say that at his house but you are so proud of her for being a big girl (or whatever might please her). Offer all the foods you normally have. It she skips a meal here and there don't worry about it. Stay calm so she sees it does not affect you. Try not to reward her with things like cake unless it is the dessert for that meal. And don't make a separate meal. It is a slippery slope from there! I did it for years and it was a huge mistake. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if she's never done it before and the foods are causing an allergic reactions or illness, she's just testing you. she can choose to eat what you have to offer or she can choose to be hungry. she'll come around. just be patient.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 2:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If she's hungry, she will eat what you give her. I understand that some kids might not like some things... but by this age you know if she really does or not. she won't starve, she will eat what she's given. I refuse to make my children a whole separate meal when they say this. but I will avoid certain foods I know they don't like.... for example, my 6 yr old loves tomatoes, will eat them like tomatoes, but my 3 yr old just doesn't care for them... so I avoid giving them to her on sandwiches etc... :)GL just a phase I'm sure
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 2:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Give her alot of praise. Ask her to try it and if she eats a tiny little bite make a huge deal out of it. It will get her excited to eat more to make you happy.
    Katy1213

Answer by Katy1213 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• this is the third time this week she's done it (all diff meals) and she refused to eat dinner last night. so i really want her to eat. but idk what to do. sneaky lil kid knows how to open the fridge and get fruit whenever she wants. i am so frustrated!
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i've told her if she will just try the food i'll give her a piece of cake (bday cake from earlier this week) and she refuses to get near it. the only food i kno she doesnt like is green beans. and i dont ever make her eat those and if she does, i praise her.
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010