Do you feel guilty not buying your children's glasses/contacts from their optometrist?

I can save about $120 a year buying my son's contacts online. However, I can't bring myself to ask the doctor's office for his prescription because I feel guilty.

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 2:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Who cares. Money is so tight for so many people. Do whatever you can do to save money. Trust me that doctor is doing just fine without you order.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• As long as your son gets his glasses or contacts thats all that matters.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well my kids dont wear glasses/contacts but I already get the best deal with my insurance through my optometrist. I get a percetage for free then I get a hefty discount on everything else. Ive shopped around. See if your employer offers vision benefits I only pay about $7 a month for mine.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would not feel bad. I would explain what you found and the cost and ask if he can match that. If he says no I would just say that I understand but you really can not afford to buy them from him anymore. I am sure that he will understand and you are probably not the first person to bring it up to him. It would be foolish to continue spending $120 more.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if you can get it cheaper go for it! i doesn't matter where your getting them atleast you are.
    Katy1213

Answer by Katy1213 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I just got new glasses for myself and I told my opt. office that I was getting them somewhere else. I tried some on at their office, but they didn't have the ones I had already decided on at another place. If they could have gotten them in, I would have bought from them.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 3:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You paid for the prescription - its yours! Don't feel guilty, optometrists charge way too much for glasses and contacts.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Don't feel guilty. I'm sure this happens all the time.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've never purchased my son's glasses from his opthalmologist's office because they're ridiculously expensive for frames & lenses, so as long as I can get them cheaper elsewhere, I will.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Don't feel guilty. Lots of people do this, so they are used to it. I do it and have never gotten a comment or a look. You're paying for the exam.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2010