Why is my boyfriend not concerned that we don't have food in the house

Hello we have been living together 4 months I have a 17 year old downe syndrome teenager ok I do get very little food stamps I am unable to work I have asked him to move out but we still go together well the other day we got in a small argument he tells me mind you we only have canned things and a few hotdogs no buns chili no meats and now nothing but water to drink I am stressed cant sleep and need to I went to a food bank yesterday more canned foods he told me that day we have food I was not going to send him crazy on and on boy I was fire and felt like saying get out now.

Can someone tell me why anybody would act like it is no big deal and that is all you have in the house I can make grocies Monday I worry about my daughter she is hungry when she comes in from school now the weekend if I could steal not go to jail I would

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Find a local food bank to help you out. If he is living there he needs to be contributing. If he is not contributing then he needs to leave. If he won't leave you need to end the relationship and have him removed. His name is not on the mortgage/lease right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm sorry that your boyfriend doesn't seem too concerned about the issue.. Maybe you should find another boyfriend. Does your child get SSI benefits? That should be enough money to buy what the child needs each month.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Local church wil help with food..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Because in his mind, the canned foods ARE food, regardless of the fact that you can't make a meal out of them. I'm not saying he's an idiot or anything, just that he's got a very linear and literal thought process.

Either, you need to get him OUT of the house OR you need to find a way to break through his thinking to make him see that a few cans of vegetables do not make a nutritious, much less a FILLING, meal.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if he's not on the lease, you need to ask him to move out. if he does not cooperate, call the police. you don't need one more mouth to feed.

your daughter is eligible for ssi benefits, so if she's not currently receiving them go the ssi office and apply. between her ssi benefits and your food stamps, you should not go hungry.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 2:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think you should apply for SSI benifites. And if hes living there, he should be on your food stamps. Canned food is better than no food. Ive been there before, and for the two days it took untill we got our food stamps we ate a can of green beans or whatever it was better than starving. Also water is best for you, so thats good. Im sorry your having this problem, but if you dont want him there call the cops an kick him out.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Kick him out, NOW. Go to a foodbank, the Salvation Army or a church and get some food.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You need to choose your daughter over your boyfriend. Your daughter depends on you for food, drink and other sorts of nourishment.

He sounds like an asshole that you can do better without.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If your daughter is not on SSI...you need to get her on it but since she is 17 and almost 18 you may as well wait til she is 18 when the benefits turn into benefits for adults, which is different....also no man should be more important then your kid, by keeping him you are sending the message that he matters more then she does. boot him out and let her see that you do not need a man so bad that you are willing to put up with this. He is just a boyfriend you are not married, he needs to go and the 2 of you need to stick together. she needs you more then you need him. Also you can be creative for the time being with canned goods, lots of people do it and so can you!
    I am not bashing I am trying to be encouraging under these tough times..
    Hang in there in there it will get better! :)
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 9:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010