getting off a sippy

My 2 year old refuses to even try drinking from a normal cup and her doctor wants her off her sippy. Any ideas?

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 2:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's 2. Wait until she is closer to 3 or 4. MOST kids are still on the sippy at 2. And you don't want her to dehydrate. Try a straw cup maybe and she might like it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• throw the sippies away. or offer drinks w/ straws (make em crzy straws) then slowly go to cups w/out sippies. idk what else to try, my kids didnt like sippies and rathered cups
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 2:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Try starting with the nuby cups that have a stoper. then you can take the stoper out so it pours but is still the sippy cup. it will have the same pour as if there was no lid. then take the lid off of that so it is still the same cup. Or take her to the store and let her pic a cup with a her favorite characters on it.
    Katy1213

Answer by Katy1213 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• or maybe try my way of bottle breaking mine. I put plain water in his bottle..and flavored drink in his sippy...you can put plain water in his sippy and offer a apple juice or something with a straw...mine loves drinking from straws and normal cups..hes 20 months old.
    snwhite25

Answer by snwhite25 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My 18mo DS ditched the bottle at 11 months to graduate to a sippy. He chewed the tips off the sippy, so I gave him cups with a straw. Now he won't drink from anything with a lid that doesn't have a straw. SIL had to run to the convenience store to get him a cup with a straw one afternoon she kept him because he wouldn't drink anything. Maybe get some of the NUK cups with straws or a tommy tippee sports bottle (water bottle kinda thing) that has a pop-up straw... call the cups with straws the big girl cups, and the sippy the baby cup. If she insists on the sippy, you might be able to make it a little less desirable by associating it with something she doesn't necessarily like, like telling her if she has her sippy she has to sit in a certain corner or can't leave the table with it. "You can have your baby sippy at the table, or you can have your big girl cuppy and get down and go play."
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Try the straw cups. I dont have this problem with my two year old she loves to drink out of my cups. Let your child pick a new straw cup and maybe that will help. Then buy the kids cups and some straws. I will tell you that I have spills all the time but a lot of kids dont drink out of cups till 3 or 4.
    Steph1499

Answer by Steph1499 at 2:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3945443&view=all

Click on the cups tab at the bottom of the tommee tippee ad.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Just ditch the sippies. Eventually she'll get thirsty and drink from a big girl cup.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• We had to get my oldest daughter off the sippies because that's all she ever wanted. She would drink her sippies and be too full all the time for food. And I gave in when she begged for one. We ended up going cold turkey. We talked about it for a couple of days and why we were getting rid of the cups and then I threw them all away. It was rough for a couple of days, but it was worth it so she would eat food.
    Anonymous

• What's wrong with a sippy cup? Saves you alot of mess.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 30, 2010