What is a effective discipline steps I can use for my 4 and 6 year old?

I am just looking for some tips on either rewards or some kind of disciplie I can do bc so far nothing I seem to try works.

lvkmtx2

Asked by lvkmtx2 at 2:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl. For my son, he works best off a reward system. So we do a chore chart and he earns points for each chore. Chores are things like, doing well at school, picking up after himself, not fighting with his sister. Plus he has a few extras like making his bed and stuff. I set out how many points each chore is worth and he has to earn so many points each week to get a prize. I change the points required based on the size of the prize. Prizes are sometimes a new movie, going bowling, getting ice cream. Things like that. Some prizes are set to take two weeks to earn.
    For my daughter, we tried this system and it only worked for about a week. She works better off a discipline set for bad behavior, instead of rewarding the good behavior. Maybe because overall, she is pretty well behaved and we praise and reward her for that more often. Her biggest issue at the moment is not wanting to pick up
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Take away privleges. No t.v. Early bed. timeout.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• timeout works or take away toys or cancel some fun thing for them for a little bit
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do not believe in rewards. Kids need to learn how to do things, (whetherit is cleaning there room or doing their home work) just because it needs to be done. 

But discipline. Find what your kids love/like a lot. Then take it away.

Answer by louise2 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• cont........ after helself. So, if she leaves her toys on the floor, I give her two warnings to pick up. If she doesn't, they get put in a box until she shows us she can earn them back. One time, she lost most of her toys. She left some on the floor one day, I boxed them up. The next day she pulled out more toys and wouldn't pick up, so they also went in the box. She didn't earn them back for two days because she threw tantrums instead of using words to express what she wanted.

Thats what works for us! :)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010