Help my son has been suspended from middle school and is up for an expulsion hearing he has add he made a prank phone call to a friends teacher and the teacher is pressing charges rhey dont seem to nkow that add effects a childs ability to sometimes know there actions are not right ahs any bodody else had trouble with something like this my son is 12 thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is your son delayed at all or have behavioral problems that were diagnosised previously? Was it a threatening phone call? What about enrolling him in a K12 online program?
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Im so sorry. I think my answer depends on what he said to the teacher in the crank phone call. What did he say that she is now pressing charges over. I hope things work out ok for your son.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 2:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Just read it again and seen he has ADD. Is there an IEP? That maybe the only thing to help. Not sure if you can request an IEP evelaution at this point or not.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 2:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• What did he say on the call?
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No, sorry. My son had severe ADHD. He always knew what was right and wrong because I had taught him the difference. He didn't always have the impulse control to MAKE the best decision though. How did you son make this call? From your home? Was he unsupervised? Is he medicated? On the Feingold diet? What are you doing to help him be successful in making good choices? Is he is therapy? I'm sorry your son is in trouble. I don't mean to be harsh..but as a Mom of an ADHD kids..it makes me angry you are making excuses. If he doesn't know right from wrong at 12..that's on you, not him.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• What did he say? just because he has ADD doesn't mean he doesn't know right from wrong. My daughter has severe ADHD and she knows not to try things she isn't supposed to do.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I REALLY CAN RELATE TO IT TALK TO YOUR SON TALK TO HIS TEACHER AND SEE IF SHE WILL DROP THE CHARGE PRAY AND PUT IT IN GOD HANDS HE WILL WORK IT OUT!!!!
    LACEY122

Answer by LACEY122 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I know add is real and I know it can cause impulse control problems but honestly this is not one of those things. THis was one of those things where he KNEW what he was doing was wrong. He knew he shouldn't prank call people and what ever the call was must have been a doosy if they are pressing charges and I am sure he knew well on that was wrong to. All I can say is he needs to do a written apology to the school , the teacher and the school board. YOu need to make sure you are doing everything you can to help him understand his boundaries and consequences. Add is a diagnosis not an excuse. ::sniff sniff:: I can smell the vote downs coming on now... Sorry guys but I have a special needs child myself, HFA, and I expect him to behave like any other child when it comes to those kinds of thing. This time it was a phone call next time it could be battery or abuse. Impulse control needs to be taught!
    Anonymous

• I'm sure I'll catch flack for this - But using ADD as an excuse for his doing wrong is a COP-OUT! ADD/ADHD children - properly diagnosed - have no issues with knowing what is right and what is wrong. It could be impulse control, BUT even that at age 12 should have been corrected.
    He DELIBERATELY prank called one of his teachers - that has nothing to do with impulse control. While I hope they don't necessarily expel your son, you need to open your eyes and seek psychiatric help for your son.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Like what the other's are asking. What kind of prank call did he make??
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 3:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2010