Fever

My DD is 23 months, and last night she was with my dad while me and my mom went out shopping for warm clothes for her, it got cold really fast. Well he called about 10pm saying he thought she had a fever so I told him to give her Motrain and I was on my way home, well she did and she has kept one all last night and most of today. Nothing else seems to be wrong, just a fever, she has all of her teeth already so it cant be that, She has an appt in the moring to see the doctor. But my mom just told me that yesterday when she picked her up from day care they where out side playing, the high was like 63 and the wind was blowing hard all day and this was at 11am. Any ideas on what this could be or any advice. She has never been sick like this before.

hollinicole

Asked by hollinicole at 7:40 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Sometimes they just get a fever, so I don't have any suggestions there. However, I believe that unless it's above 102 (and ask your doctor to be correct!) You shouldn't be giving any fever reducers in order to let the fever help fight off whatever infection her body is fighting.
    I hope she gets better soon!
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• If its a fever ...there is always a virus, in their system,
    it will run its course, but alas, if she has it more than 2 -3 days...and goes to 101-102, and or, if she starts acting funny ...not eating,...not acting herself,
    then take her to be seen,

Give her motrin, and cool baths, ;o)
    she should be alright,

I know its strange when they act normal and just burn up like this, my dd did this to me as well just recently

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• well it is always best to talk to your doctor of course, but my son does the same thing. he will spike a really high fever and sometimes it only last through the night and other it lasts all that following day as well. never any other symptoms. sometimes it just happens. My mom told me that I would get fevers so high that I would have febrile seizures but it happened so often that they just stopped worrying and kept with the tylenol. some things have no explanation
    AprilMosco

Answer by AprilMosco at 9:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I also let the fever run it's course unless it gets too high. It's the body's natural way of fighting off the "bad guys". We try not to pump the kids with antibiotics everytime they're sick.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well the doctor said it was just a fever not to worry, the last one broke about 8 pm last night and she went to daycare this morin and has been fine,

hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 2:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• In general -- A fever is just the body's way of fighting off some kind of infection, whether bacterial or viral. If the fever is under 102, there really is no need to give any medication, except to make her more comfortable at night to sleep. Above 102, you get into the danger zone for seizures and other complications. After 3 days of a fever, it's usually a good idea to take her to the doctor so they can determine if it is caused by a bacterial infection, and needs antibiotics; if it's viral, there isn't much they can do and you should NOT give antibiotics unless they have checked her (usually blood) to determine that it is bacterial for sure.
    bliss4mom

Answer by bliss4mom at 5:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2008