Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boy shocked by campaign sign?

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Shawn Turschak of Chapel Hill was tired of someone stealing McCain-Palin campaign signs from his yard. Turschak, with a degree in electrical engineering, hooked up a third sign to a power source for an electric pet fence Monday and also put up a surveillance camera.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported that a 9-year-old boy with an Obama-Biden sign grabbed the McCain-Palin sign and got a jolt on Tuesday.

The boy's father, Andrew Noble, upset that his son had been shocked, showed up at Turschak's door. Soon an Orange County sheriff's deputy also showed up at the Turschak's home.

Noble said his son just wanted to see how the sign was put together. Turschak said the boy intended to swap out the signs.

What do you think????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (117)
  • ha serves him right, leave people stuff alone. If he wanted to see how it was put together (doubt that) then he should have knocked on the door and asked about it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • unless the man had a warning put up that the sign was electrified, it is illegal! The boy could have seriously been hurt because this man thinks his damn political campaign signs are more important than people's well being.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • Maybe he will learn manners. How dare his dad be pissed that his precious boy was shocked. He shouldn't have been messing with someone elses property.

    Answer by SusieD250 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • Love it..

    You dont have to have signs up stating you have electrical anything..atleast not here.

    He could have been seriously hurt? How?

    Answer by mamakirs at 8:03 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • It was private property! That child should be charged with trespassing. The father should be charged with child neglect and endangerment for putting his son up to it. And the excuse of he wanted to see how the sign worked...yeah right, sure. The child is needs to be taught a lesson by someone because what he was doing was illegal (trespassing and trying to steal). Bravo to the homeowner for giving thieves a taste of their own medicine!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • mamakris- go stick a paper clip in an electrical outlet and then come back and tell us how the shock was. Electrical shock is bad!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • They are all in the wrong. Boy should be in trouble for grabbing the sign. But the man who had put the sign on the lawn and had it hooked up to shock people is an idiot for doing something so dangerous. What if some animal had touch the sign, would it have zapped the poor animal.


    Answer by Rebecca75 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • He was going to steal it. Next time he will know not to go on someones property to steal.


    Answer by lucasmomma2002 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • BS the shock is bad..I grew up on a danged farm. I guarantee they had the voltage low enough it wouldn't cause any serious injury and high enough it taught little jerks or big jerks for that matter a lesson....
    poor little boy my butt

    Answer by mamakirs at 8:10 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

  • Quit overreacting anon 805, it was like a dog's electric fence collar. It stings a bit, but doesn't cause serious harm. If it were an actual electrical source then it could have been harmful, but it was a pet fence.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.