Should I nurse with a stomach flu?

I've been in bed the last two days sick, today it turned into a stomach flu, so far I haven't even been able to keep down liquids & have no strength to hold my baby...should I still nurse him or pump & dump?

Magikdragon822

Asked by Magikdragon822 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse that baby for sure mama. You will pass on antibodies for whatever you have and hopefully keep LO from getting it or not get it as bad. You do need to make sure you are hydrated though. My FIL actually asked my husband this when he walked in our house one day and saw me sick as a dog on the couch when LO was about 2 months old. Gladly DH had actually listened to me when a few days before I told him it was the best thing for the LO. The germs do not pass in the breastmilk, but die to the close proximity to the sick person they likely will pass just as they do with everyone else. Having the breastmilk antibodies is the BEST thing for that baby right now.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree you will pass on antibodies that your body makes thru your milk. Nursing will protect your baby from getting sick.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Why would you need to pump and dump? You'll be giving your child antibodies in your milk.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Keep nursing! Your baby has already been close to you and exposed to what you have. Chances are baby will be sick too. But it may not be as bad as you have it because the baby will get your antibodies. Have someone bring the baby to you, or just keep baby in the bed.

Drink as much water as you can and get some rest. Feel better soon!! (I am sick here and my little boy is just now getting sick. I am really hoping he doesn't get it as bad as I did)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• YES! Your body is making antibodies in your milk to keep your LO form getting it to!! This is one of the BEST times to nurse!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've wondered about that too. Will the sick germs be passed on in the milk?
    Anonymous

• nurse him. you'll pass your antibodies to him plus it will you heal. if you feel too weak to hold him, nurse him laying down. he'll be alright. i got the full fledged ful when my son was 2 days old and i continued to nurse around the clock. he never got sick. best of luck to you!
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 3:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It's the BEST time to nurse, actually.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• good question... i wanna hear as well. I had food poisioning and I stopped but didnt know....
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010