Witches and Pagans: Does this annoy anyone else?

Especially in shows about the paranormal and investigating incidents, does it annoy anyone else when they say things like, "OMG There's a pentagram on the floor! That's the source of the evil here!" Or they make a reference to how there were supposedly witches in that place before, so that's the reason for all the "demonic activity." Things like that annoy me SO much sometimes! I mean, I know it's probably mostly just for ratings and a place to lay blame, but it's still so annoying to me.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Entertainment

• Yep, but what annoys me more is how accepted that attitude is. Insert another religion there and watch what would happen....
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yep, it's annoying. And I'm not a Pagan.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• YES! I'm not even Pagan but I have quite a few (non-evil might I add) Pagan friends and my SO is Pagan. He has pentagrams in our home and they do not bother me or my children. BUT to people who have watched all those movies or who believe that pagans and witches MUST be evil... it scares the hell out of them. I always ask them, "Did you have a problem with him BEFORE you saw he was Pagan and had pentagrams in our home?" They say, "No." And I come back with, "So WHY do you have one now?"
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• That same attitude is why so many stupid people actually believe Christine O'Donnell
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It is annoying to a point, especially when it is being presented as "fact". There are so many that won't look beyond what they are being told and will continue to blindly believe what they are being fed by the mass media.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I completely agree it is so annoying. But it is even more annoying that people one accept this and two believe it.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• it is very annoying but mostly because of the ignorance of our belief. It shows that they didn't even have the respect to research what we are about. They hang out with police , hookers, and anything else to get their facts straight but when it comes tWiccan, Witches and Pagans we are simply labeled as evil, demon calling devil worshipers. Sickening isn't it.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, and No... I guess it depends on what I'm watching. Movies, not so much, cause that's simply what fiction does, it doesn't bother me any more than the Hansel & Gretle witch does. But, when I'm watching Paranormal Shows or something which are meant to be "reality" - that really bothers me. It shows that people really see things that way and really believe that way. I would love to never see that kind of thing again, sure, but as long as there is misconception, there will be those who believe them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It is kind of annoying, because the inaccuracies are believed by many to be true. I know that it's wrong or ridiculous, but some people don't realize it's only for entertainment. Fictional movies that bring up other religions cause almost mass hysteria with people getting offended and wanting to outlaw the movies, but it's all okay when it's not a mainstream religion being talked about.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I know! Like if they said something along the lines of, "Oh a pastor lived here before, and talked about demons and things from the Bible, so that what caused the demonic activity!" people would go NUTS and the show would be off the air almost instantly. But it's always witchcraft and spirit boards and things that end up getting blamed for a lot of those things.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010