If you & your (ex)SO are seperated but split custody, how is it split up? Like which days do you have your child, and which days does the father have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• My Dh and his ex have 50/50 custody of their son. When he was very young they split it this way....She had him Mon and tuesday, my Dh had him Wed and Thursday and they each had him every other friday, Saturday and sunday. Then once he started school, switching back and forth so much was hard for him so we now do one week on and one week off. We switch every friday now.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm not divorced or separated, but my baby daddy's parents were. He also has a half-brother by way of their mum, and their mum just got divorced to that dad, too, recently. The way she's always done it is 50/50 custody, and every Tuesday the kids switch houses. It's Tuesdays because that way if the kids have a 3-day weekend or something, the family can ACTUALLY go camping or whatever they want to do.
    lyricsoprano90

Answer by lyricsoprano90 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Our "official" arrangement for our 13 yr old daughter is: School year she is at his house during the week unless there's day off, half day, or she's sick. Here on weekends and any school vacation days. Summer, she is here during the week & with him on weekends. BUT, its not that strict on our part. Some weekends during the summer she ends up staying here instead. Some days during the school week she ends up here (if she misses the bus & I have to pick her up, if there' s some activity she's doing after school & I pick her up, if there's something special we are doing here & she wants in on it..for instance she's staying here sunday night because of halloween or even if she just calls & says she misses me then she comes over here). So basically, she ends up at our house more then his although it was his idea to "share custody" he really doesnt have her as much as I do. He doesn't complain about it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• MY TWO CENTS.... as a child of divorce I think you need to discuss it with THE CHILD TOO (if the child is old enough). My parents chose what worked for them and screwed me over when it came to having a normal childhood. They had their wonderful little divorce and my brother and I got screwed over. We basically lived out of suit cases because they didnt want to be gone from us too long... so WE had to move homes every two days. WHY THE HELL NOT PUT THE EFFORT IN TO THE FLIP'N MARRAGIE THEN. Instead they got their "freedom" and we got a living hell.

Anonymous

• My ex husband and I have 2 VERY small children together. We have joint custody, but he lives about 600 miles away now. He has the first, third, and fifth weekends. Spring break. Odd year thanksgiving. Even year Christmas. Father's Day. 42 days in the summer.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh & holidays we just decide amongst ourselves depending on what each of our families are doing. We always figure it out.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am divorced and we live an hour apart. Our arrangements, because we have school age children, is that I have them Sunday night through Friday afternoon. This allows them to have a consistent school schedule. For holidays, we alternate. This is my year to have them on Christmas Eve/morning. Then he'll get them in the afternoon. Birthdays we share. We usually do a big party with both sides of the family.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010