how do i teach my 15 month old the meaning of "no"?

alot of people say to completely baby proof my house but there are certain things i cant always keep away from him. any time i step away from the computer area, or the tv area, etc., he goes right up and starts playing with the buttons or the mouse or phone or whatever. and no matter how many times i tell him no he just does it anyway the second i step back. how do i get him to listen to me? he touches everything hes not supposed to. is there even a way to stop him other than putting a gate around everything?

trishloveshaydn

Asked by trishloveshaydn at 6:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You know I have never babyproofed my house and by the time my son was 2 we acoomlished most of the no factor... but I would pop my son's hand when he touched something he wasn't suppose to.
    marine_wife_17

Answer by marine_wife_17 at 7:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thats exactly what I did at that stage between one and two. They seem to not understand when you simply say no so you reinforce with a little smack on the hand and make sure you look him in the eyes. I know some people do not believe in this but it really is a form of teaching that works.
    Nluvwitasailor

Answer by Nluvwitasailor at 7:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• just keep consistently telling him no and move him away with a toy or someting to keep him occupied.
    ilovetracilynn

Answer by ilovetracilynn at 9:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well my son is definitely at this stage, touching everything. I'm more of a sucker when it comes to discipline than daddy. However I soon realized that he wasn't going to get "no" unless I changed some things. I learned that I need to instead of just saying no from across the room, I need to go over to him and look him in the face and very sternly say no. If all else fails, he gets a tap on the hand. Just enough so he knows he did wrong. It's just an ongoing process. I totally am there with you.
    redhotmommy

Answer by redhotmommy at 9:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Well, daddy just sits back and keeps saying NO, whild mommy says NO once and gets up to back it up! Redirection only helps so much, and I get a quick tantrum most times. Doesn't phase me - just stay consistant!
    mrsflum

Answer by mrsflum at 2:48 PM on Jan. 5, 2009