Gestational diabetic - should you call your doctor if your numbers are high??

If your sugars are high, should you call your doctor? Mine never said anything about calling him for high sugars. I keep reading about stillbirth and everything though and it's starting to really scare me! My one-hour after lunch was 145mg/dl today. I won't know my dinner one for an hour as I just got finished eating. The lunch was high, they should be less than 130mg/dl an hour after eating. Would you call? Or should you wait until they get VERY high? I know that's not too bad, I hear of some girls' going above 200! What would you do? BTW I'm 37 weeks (as of midnight, haha), NOT insulin dependent, probably being induced in 2 weeks, find out for sure at my appointment Monday.

Also, if I did call, what would he even tell me? Anyone know? Should I just wait until Monday? Ugh, so paranoid!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes, call. It never hurts to call. I'd do it tomorrow a.m.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 8:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I've never dealt with gestational diabetes, however, in your shoes I'd probably ere on the safe side and call just to give a heads up that it was a little high, that way it puts things in your Doctor's hands and you won't have to be worrying over it anymore!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:16 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I was taught under 150 two hours after eating. BUT, you should call your doctor. Who knows what the rules are now. I had gestational diabetes with two pregnancies and refused treatment with the second. Your numbers aren't that high. BUT, Please consider this too...I know you are worried and are turning to friends for help, but honestly we aren't in a postiion to tell you about something this serious. Please consult your doctor.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Isnt it funny how doctors leave out that part lol

I know ....they say you have this...treat it this way...but what do we do...when there is seriously a problem with what they have detected??

I know what your going thru beleive me,
    just call the doctor tonight, and make sure your hands are clean before doing the testing,
    i know haha that my brother ate an orange one day, and forgot to clean off his hands,
    the blood unit ..didnt know what to do, if it, could have said, " K.O" it really would have hahaha
    but your fine doll seriously...my bff went up to 198, or so, and then she started to panic and i called ...they just will send u to the E.R to get moniterd, and to get maybe even a shot hon,

good luck
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:36 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Usually 150 and less after meals is fine. Make sure you are eating mostly protein and veggies, and minimal carbs/breads. If you have questions, talk to your ob/gyn. If your pre meal blood glucose is normal, all should be fine.
    cdgoldilocks

Answer by cdgoldilocks at 8:37 PM on Oct. 30, 2008