how did the public school system treat your child with disabilities

I was just wondering how your child with a disablility was treated in the public school system. Did you have to fight for their therapies, IEP, etc.

hope4myboys

Asked by hope4myboys at 8:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in General Parenting

• We're fortunate that when my son aged out of ECI, they got him set up for his assessment with  school district. Now that he's in the Early Childhood School for Speech and Language Delay with Social/Emotional Difficulty there shouldn't be an issue with continuing services when he starts Kindergarten. My SIL however had to fight tooth and nail for her son to be tested for ADHD when he was in the 3rd grade. It's easier when you're just going into the system to get the help your child needs instead of midstream.

Anonymous

• We had no issues but my son was receiving full day special ed services from the time he turned three. Advanced speech delay, social delay, fine and gross motor delays. Visual motor integration problems, spacial perception difficulty and to top the list..he was dyslexic. He was mainstreamed in the 7th grade. In the 9th they told me in an IEP meeting IN FRONT OF MY CHILD that he would never get out of 9th grade. My son graduated high school in 2004 and has gone on to complete Fire Academy and EMT school. When he graduated I allowed him to address an announcement for his graduation to THAT counselor..he put a hand written not in it that said "B***h remember me"

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:55 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• My son is now in an approved private school for children with disabilities because the public school WOULD NOT meet his needs. Notice I didn't say could not, because they could have if they had wanted to. Our school district didn't want to spend the money for an aide, for OT, for PT, for speech services and more...so now, instead, they are paying an arm & a leg for him to be in a special school and getting those services anyway (those services are not standard in this school, so it is costing them just as much more as if they had provided them in his home school).
    Anonymous

• Oh don't get me started! I'm trying to get my daughter tested for special ed. I'm having to fight tooth and nail. She's 7 and has been held back in the 1st grade and now she's falling behind this year. I am up these people's butt to get her help! They don't like me much. All my work is seeing that she's getting some very nice interventions for her and she'll be tested by the end of the year. I live in the Las Vegas valley in Nevada. I work for the school district as a special ed busdriver. Still, I get crap! I've seen plenty of good and bad teachers and administrators in the special ed programs. I think it's the luck of the draw and how mean you're prepared to be! Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 12:23 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Yes I had to fight like crazy to get my daughter tested for adhd and yes she had it I finally found a great public school that is great for my daughter.This school seems to know more about kids with adhd.As soon as you are in the system it is much easier .
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 4:59 AM on Oct. 31, 2008