Stretching til you black out

My 7 yr DD has this issue with stretching until she blacks out a little and will sometimes fall. I have told her over and over to stop stretching so much and so hard and she told me she can't help it. I also got a call form the school nurse and she said my DD fell out of her chair today and yesterday. Her teacher said it was like she was confused and had this weird look over her face as is she didn't know what had just happened. I made her an appointment for tomorrow morning..... Has anyone ever had this happen to their child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• nope, but please keep us posted on the results. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• What kind of stretching? Can you clarify?
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have been known to stretch so hard that my head will hurt and I get dizzy. I have never blacked out before that I know of but I thought I was close many times. I think she is just doing it too hard and too fast. Like going from sitting to standing, all the blood rushes to your head.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 3:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have blacked out for a few seconds while stretching when I forgot to breathe. I know that probably sounds weird, but people forget to breathe sometimes. LOL If it doesn't turn out to be caused by something medical, watch her while she stretches and/or teach her to breathe through the stretch. I usually inhale as I go into a stretch, exhale as I extend or come out of the stretch depending on how long I'm holding the stretch. If you're conscious of it, you're less likely to hold your breath. Standing up too quickly can cause it too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have had this problem since I was young. I've never fallen and hurt myself though, might be worth checking into.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:24 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't black out, but I get really light headed and have to catch myself from falling sometimes - it's due to low blood pressure. But if she's falling out if her seat at school...I'd be more worried that she's having seizures.
    Anonymous

• I second the seizure conclusion.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No-but I hope everything is okay with her.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 7:16 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Please keep us posted on what the doctor says.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 12:13 AM on Oct. 31, 2010

• Can't say I have, but like the others, please keep us posted!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 2:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2010