Parkinson's

Do you know anyone with parkinson's disease, early on-set in particular? What were the first symptoms and if it was early on-set how old was the individual? Any other in that person's family with it? Where would you suggest going online to research it?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 3:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Health

• My grandpa... they only gave him 6 months to live its now been 7 years! the things I first remembering happening was he would shake a lot, couldnt keep his hands still. His balance was the next thing that wasnt so hot....
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I will call him now and see what websites helped him.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thank you. We suspect it for my husband, especially after finding out his paternal grandfather had it. But we are waiting and seeing right now so any information on what to look for would be awesome.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Look on you tube for what the Parkenson's tremor looks like. There are other tremors, shaking, that are not Parkensons.

Answer by Bmat at 3:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Here is a link to Michael J Foxs foundation for Parkinson Research. He was diagnosed with early onset. I hope this helps.

http://www.michaeljfox.org/

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have known a few people who have it. I think all of them had had it a very long time before it was diagnosed because in the beginning, its symptoms can look like several other diseases. There have been some natural treatments developed for it in the last few years, but those, of course, are not covered by insurance, and those are the ones that seems to be the most effective.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Parkinsons can be controlled with medications and some ppl manifest the disorder in different ways (sometimes it is misdiagnosed). One can live a long and full life with the disorder. Some of the online information can be quite scary.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My little brother's FIL was diagnosed with it some time ago - I know it's been at least a few years ago, because it was getting bad enough that about 3 years ago they implanted something in his brain to help "shut it off". Sad thing is he's starting to get bad again. I want to say he's about 52, definitely no older than 55. Probably not as early as you're thinking but of all the people I know/have known with it he's the youngest.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 4:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010