Would you spend $750 on..?

I have a varicose vein in the back of my leg that formed when I was pregnant with my last baby and it did not go away after I gave birth over a year ago. I saw a vein specialist earlier this week and said insurance WON'T pay for the sclerotherapy injections. I am really bummed to hear that. The vein is pretty ugly and itches and swells like crazy. BUT I would have to pay it out of pocket. We have the money but I still feel guilty on spending this much on myself. WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Varicose veins get more and more painful as they progress. THey also lead to poor circulation in the legs and can make you more prone to Deep Vein Thrombosis (blood clots) I would definiately do it, sooner than later. The sclerotherapy can prevent them from getting worse. It isn't just a cosmetic issue. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:05 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If it wasnt a health issue, i would probably let it be.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, if you can afford it, and it bothers you (both physically and aesthetically), I say go for it !

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well actually it is a health issue! Older people die from those. My bil had one open up and it was really hard to controll the bleeding he had to go to the er before it stopped. So yeah go get it fixed and see if you can find another dr. that will try to bill..(your insurance co.)
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• It's a quality of life issue -- do it!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would if I could afford it. If it was actually causing me pain, I would be more likely to save up money for it than if it was purely cosmetic and money was tight. Depends how bad I thought it was. I have a small vein on the side of my thigh that bothers me, but only if someone presses on it. Otherwise, I forget about it. I haven't done anything about it so far, and can't afford to if insurance wouldn't cover it. I'm just waiting to see if it gets worse for now.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If it makes you self conscious you should go for it.!
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have several....from working on my feet. They are bothersome but I wouldnt spend that kind of money unless I was a millionaire or something. They dont bother me or my husband. But, if you have the money, would feel better doing it then go for it. It is just not on my list of priorities.
    LeeLeeCandleGrl

Answer by LeeLeeCandleGrl at 4:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• if you can afford it and you want to have it done then do it.You matter also.We have always been very fortunate but I can always think of something "better' to do with money than spend it on myself ,even if it is adding it to investments.I think moms are kind of trained to think there is always a better way to use money than on ourselves.If you are weighing the pros and cons of the money then you are probably very reasonable about what you can afford to do.I had to learn this about myself .

drfink

Answer by drfink at 4:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i would.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:43 AM on Oct. 30, 2010