HeadButting?

My 18mo old Daughter has started headbutting. I don't know where she learned it from no one around her acts aggressive not even in playing. Where could she have learned such a behavior? She nailed me twice before I left for work once in the chin and the other just under my eye. She's not hurt herself "yet" but I'm getting worried that she is really going to end up hurting her precious little noggin.

briebriesmom

Asked by briebriesmom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sad thing is, they may be what it takes for her to stop. Tell her it hurts and enforce that it isn't allowed and hurts you.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Its way more common than you may think....and its not an agressive thing all of the time. The doctor always told me it was a phase my son would grow out of and he did...They usually dont hit hard enough to damage anything but if you really concered ask you doc at the very least he may be able to ease your mind.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You just have to tell her that it hurts everytime she does it.... My son did it for the longest time. He finally stopped doing it when he hit his 2nd birthday. Good luck.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My daughter did that at that age. It's normal behavior, and she'll stop.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• 18mo DS just got over that stage, he did hit it too hard one time, and that was the last time he "butt" anything. I was sure to make it VERY clear when he headbutted me that this was not going to be tolerated.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you are worried you could always put a small bike helmet on her head one of my sons at the age of 1 rammed his head into any hard object he could find I started putting one on him and within about a week he stopped doing it
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thanks just knowing it's not an act of random aggression and that it's "normal" what ever that means anymore helps. After this morning I wouldn't be pretending that it hurts my eye still has a knot under it. We just got out of the biting stage I was her favorite target on that one too and now into headbutting, WHATS NEXT???
    briebriesmom

Comment by briebriesmom (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've had a chipped tooth, been knocked on the eye socket and the temple from my son's headbutting and it wasn't because he was being aggressive. I think he finds it funny sometimes, but other times it's a total accident while he's excited and full of energy--he's just moving too fast or trying to tackle us or jump on our backs when we're not paying attention. I always joke that I've been injured more as a parent than I ever was when I was younger. I also have a friend who was actually knocked out when her daughter jumped on her at Chuck E Cheese, so I always try to be prepared for anything.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Does she watch tv? I did that when I was little and I got it from the Land Before Cartoons because I wanted to be like Sara the tricerotops. Or it could just be a behavior she picked up on her own. My ds head bangs everything.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 30, 2010