What would you say to a rude customer? There are some mean people out there!

This lady was so irate and belittled me but I kept my cool, which made her even more mad. Tee hee. I kept my cool because I know the truth, which is, I did my job well and she was in such a hurry that she blamed it all on me for being slow. I do not want to stoop to her level but , wow, she was so mean. Anyway-

What is a professional way of handling this? What would you say? My boss was not present so am not aware of what my boss would allow me to say, if anything and I certainly do not want to bring it up either. THANK YOU!

2tinyhineys

Asked by 2tinyhineys at 4:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think the best way to handle those people is to smile and say nothing. That probably gets to them more than anything you could possibly say. Oh, but on her way out, I hope you told her to have a nice day!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Smile and don't get into personalities. In other words, stick strictly to business. She: "You are too slow." You: "Would you like paper or plastic."

Answer by Bmat at 4:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The best thing to do/say, is nothing at all. I too have dealt with many a-hole customers name calling and belittling me and I learned that being the better person just means smiling and nodding your head no matter what they say. I'd rather keep my job than tell them how I really felt. Then at home vent to hubby/parent/good friend. I was told I worshipped the devil because I refused to turn on some ladies phone service for a delinquent bill. I told her I was sorry she felt that way but I hoped she had a great day! =)
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• When I worked at a dept. store and lines got long at the registers (always when there was a sale), some customers would get very, very impatient, and try to rush us, which I figured out led to more mistakes, which then took more time to correct. So I started being VERY, VERY methodical. It looked like I wasn't responding to them wanting me to hurry (which increased their frustration and gave me a certain passive-aggressive satisfaction) but actually got customers out faster. So I would smile, do every little thing I was supposed to, and no matter how slow they thought I was being, I knew they were leaving soon.

In my professional life, if a customer was wrong, really wrong, I'd let them know how to contact my supervisor if they were dissatisfied with my efforts. Then, I'd make sure to give my supervisor a heads up.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The professional way of handling it is to not say anything rude back but stay polite. The customer might be in the wrong, but it's the rude employee that gets fired for it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• From a customer service standpoint - you did it perfect. Good job!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• When it's not your company you should always just be as polite as possible and take what they dish out.....as a business owner you should do the same, but if you don't need that customer it's then at least only you and your business you would be hurting, not someone else's
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would allow the customer to have her tantrum and keep my mouth shut, only to save my job. Outside work, I would tell her off.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It depends on the situation entirely. The way I was taught was "You're right" and just try to get them out of the place quickly. GL.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you did nothing wrong, the best way to handle this is just to say "Thank you and have a nice day."
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010