stripping membrains?

can they do it at 1cm? also did it hurt and did it work?

Mommmy_To_3

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• At 1 cm dilated, it may or may not work. It may also hurt.

I had my membranes stripped at 40 weeks, 3 days with my second child. I was 3 cms dilated and 100 percent effaced. It didn't hurt for me. I went and walked after having it done, and went into labor hours later.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Statistically it doesn't work more often then it does and yes it is a little painful. The later in pregnancy and more progressed you are the better the chances of it working. My SIL had the doc do it without her permission (he said he was just checking her dilation and then bam she felt the pain of it and screamed at him and never returned). She was 4 cm and fully effaced and 40 weeks and it did absolutely nothing for her.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had my membranes swept with both my children, with the first one I had it done once at 38 weeks and I went into labor 12 hours later. The second one I had it done three times before it worked (once a week for three weeks, I asked my doc to do it because I was anxious to deliver) the third time I had them do it I went into labor a few hours later. Bottom line, if your body is ready for labor, It could be all you need to get things moving. If you not near ready yet, it won't do a thing. So if you want to try it, it can't hurt....but take a deep breath because even though its quick, its not pleasant!
    jc20089

Answer by jc20089 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had mine stripped at 1 cm and it was a brief moment of "unconfortable" feelings but its just a quick swipe. takes literally 10 seconds. It worked for me. 24 hours later my water broke! GL
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 11:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yeah it hurts like hell! Don't do it!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:59 AM on Oct. 30, 2010