Is the U.S. drug war unwinnable?

Link to a related article:
http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/29/the-never-ending-war-on-drugs.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I t isn't unwinable if the citizens would have a paradim shift and police their own behavior. It will take a shift in the focus of how the war is waged. It has to be waged in the home with parents having values and a coping system that doesn't demonstrate that you cope with stress by drinking alcohol or getting high. You cope with stress by working on the things that cause the stress until they are dealt with. Or, you are not so comsumed by self-gratification and doing whatever you want to do, healthy or not, that being an upstanding honorable person is all the gratification you need. Until that is done, the drugs will continue to pour in.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• As long as there is a demand someone will find a way to supply it. We should have learned from Prohibition, it made Al Capone, w/o it he would have been a 2-bit hood.

The drug war is failed policy time for a new approach. Drug abuse is a medical problem not criminal.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 5:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My question is why do you take drugs?

I grow up in the 70's and saw a lot of shit. Young kids on streets, girls becoming hookers, friends I went to school with are dead because of drugs. The jails are full of people who do sell and take drugs.
    And I do feel if you do drugs you do support Terrorism ! Look how many people are getting killed down south of the boarder.
    I just don't get why you do it!! And think it is cool, Well it is not cool!

We do have the power to stop the war on drugs.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It is not winnable in any way shape or form. We have to change the way we deal with casual drug use and how we "help" hard drug users. A good first step would be to legalize marijuana and use the money saved on those bullshit arrests and the taxes gathered, toward helping hard drug users.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 6:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• it is because there are too many for the u.s to control
    cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do not think it could ever be won. The cartels will always find another way and there will always be new drugs out there along with the old ones.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, it is.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Nope, it is not winnable. As long as people want drugs, people will find a way to sell. them. Addiction needs to be approached as a medical problem, everyone else needs to be left alone.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, there are so many things wrong with the "war on Drugs" not the least of which is the medical community creating just as many addicts as street drugs....But they are legal pushers...

I don't think any drug should be illegal, making drugs illegal hasn't stopped people from doing them. It wastes resources (in the BILLIONS) on "fighting" them, gets innocent people killed in drug war crossfires as well as law enforcemnt.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:29 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I wish I knew. It's such an epidemic, hard to say if we can ever stop it. I pray we can someday.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010