Does anyone else have a church in their area doing a Hell House?

One of the large Assembly of God churches here does it every year. It is depicting murder, suicide, anything that goes against the Bible, and can separate us from God. At the end, you wind up in hell, but then God comes, and rescues those who have reached out to Him. It's amazing, and very powerful and moving. We go every year, and we are getting ready to here in a little bit. It's much more meaningful than any trick or treating ever could be.

jaycietaylorgma

Asked by jaycietaylorgma at 5:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Not that I know of. Most of the churches close to me are doing a "trunk and treat" for the community.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 6:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have no idea to be honest. I have not heard of any, but that doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I can say this though. Based on your description, it's not something I personally would enjoy or find beneficial in any way , shape or form.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• People let their kids go to this kind of thing?? I'm not crazy about haunted houses either, but ... no can't wrap my mind around this idea. What happens to the ones who don't reach out?? Do you pretend to set them on fire?? I don't know something about it sounds very wrong. No offence meant, definitely not my thing.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, that's your opinion. If it wouldn't interest you, there'd be no reason to go. I was just wondering if any other communities do them.
    jaycietaylorgma

Comment by jaycietaylorgma (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't know of any local church that does that in my area.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't know of any currently but I went to a private scool and the church it was in used to do one. I don't think they've done it in about 10 years though.
    unknwndreamer

Answer by unknwndreamer at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Interesting way to get a point across- not sure I agree with it or would go to it, but I do understand that for some it may be a very powerful experience.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• not that i know of, but ppl here think they are not only part of the Bible belt but THE buckle...so im sure theres one somewhere! ive been to one before, it was really scary. even if i knew of one we wouldnt be going b/c DD is too little and thats not our kinda Christian belief.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I had to look it up , (courtesy of our Public Radio station)and found out that there is a Pentacostal church in a small town in Minnesota ,far away from me (I live near Minneapolis --the big city...) that presents a Hell House. I have never heard of that before. I think it would be a little too frightening for kids. And for me. Although, I really don'tbuy into much of that and I think it gets a bit harsh , exaggerated, fictitious and judgemental,too.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Tina, several of our churches around here are doing the trunk or treat, also. That's such a great idea, also.
    jaycietaylorgma

Comment by jaycietaylorgma (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010