Do you have a family member living an unhealthy life?

My heart is hurting today.... my mom is over weight and doing nothing about it. My brother and her got in an argument about it. I equate it to watching an alcoholic.... with every soda pop, bowl of ice cream, etc... it is like watching an alcoholic buy another 6 pack. Her health is deteriorating SO FAST.

But she is soooooo mad that my brother called her out on it that she wont talk to him OR ME???

Anyone else dealing with something like this?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• It is an addiciton and you do have to tread lightly. Give it a few days then try a different approach. And start by apologizing for your brothers thoughtlessness. Is she on any meds that are weight gainers??? Is she going through menopause?Is she depressed? Besides wieght there are probably other issues. It is a complete package.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am sure there are some people in my family living this way ....

But I just have to say , if you mom wants to be fat, let her be fat ....... you and your brother telling her to lose weight ( in so many words) isnt going to make her get up and start exercising, but it probably is making her feel worse ( and alot of people eat when they feel badly)
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, it's me.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes, unfortunately. It breaks my heart. I know what your going through.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• DH would live on ice cream and Diet Coke if he had it his way. He's overweight and spends most of the day on the couch. It makes me CRAZY, and he's setting a HORRIBLE example to our son. I want him to work out with me, and I try to get him to make healthy choices with food. I do the cooking, so I make healthy meals and buy healthy foods, but I hear it if I don't buy him some snacks, too. For years I never kept any of that stuff in the house, then I met him. I don't know how to change it. He drinks anywhere from 6-12 Diet Cokes a day.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How overweight is she, like 10 pounds or like 100 pounds?
    Anonymous

• Well I am pretty sure she knows what she is doing. I would feel sad too. If my mother was killing her self. I don't know what to tell you. Other than I feel for ya.
    Loosing weight is hard. I am doing it right now and I hate it. My cardiologist told me to loose 30-50 lbs. I was 180 and 5'6". I knew I was a little heavy but come on.. Seriously. So after two days of depression I thought I have to do this. I want to live. I have lost 13 lbs so far and it is a freaking pain. Every day you have to think about food. Every day you have to plan your meals.
    I would just take my kids to her house and let them show her how much they love her and love to be around her. You are not gonna change her. So find a way to live with her.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yea, but it is up to them and only them to change it.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you talk to her about it, at least you and your brother know you did all you could to let her know you were concerned and cared. my dad died from alcoholism and I never asked him to stop. I had a lot of guilt for several years afterwards because I thought "if only I had asked him he would have changed". I know now that is not true hug.
    Anonymous

• it's hard to help anybody if themselves dont want to...it's an addiction and it's ahrd to resist,i've been to that too and needs a lot of guts to pull it off..
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010