how do i stop the wineing??

mommy_n_son18

Asked by mommy_n_son18 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What we did with my stepbabies (who are now 6 and 4) was to NEVER respond when they whine with anything other than, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you when you whine."
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 9:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• u cant even teenagers whine!!!!
    Anonymous

• Im a teacher and one thing I say to my students is "I can talk and so can you, may you please use your words." or "I dont understand whining, can you use your words"
    Anonymous

• I'm going through this now with my 2 year old grandson! It drives me crazy! We are trying to just not respond at all when he whines. My dd, who is his beloved PawPaw, has a hard time ignoring him when he whines. He wants to run and do anything to make him stop. That doesn' t work, that is reinforcing the behavior. I keep telling my dh this, and I think he is beginning to come around to my side. But we are still dealing with the whining, I have just now got dh to coroperate with me on this. Hopefully it'll stop soon. I think it'll take us longer with this one, because dh has already been reinforceing this behavior. But ignoring them when they whine is the best way to handle this. Hang in there and stay consistant....it'll work...it just takes time.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• if mine throws a fit ill tell her "no, calm down" she knows what no means (22 months0 if she keeps up her tantrum i put herin the play pen (her naughty time out corner) and when she calms down and says "up" nicely ill take her out. up is her way of asking to be taken out. i wont take her out if she demands it or yells UP or whines. only when she has calmed down and asks with a calm voice. she even says sorry sometimes which is so freaking cute
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:51 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Don't answer whining and eventually it will stop. In the meantime, a swat on the back of the thigh (undiapered area - bottom works if not diapered) accompanied by "Stop whining" when the child whines works great. A swat is not a spanking and does not cause crying, but does cause a child to pay attention to the words that accompany it and does get results.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:09 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• My best friend and I were out last night with her son, he was playing with my keys and I need them to get into my car for something. He whined and cried but we told him "your acting like a brat. Brats dont get special treatment" and when he stopped, we gave hime the keys back and said "you earned the keys back by behaving like a good boy". He is 15 months.

my favorite part about last nite was when we were going home he was cranky and tired so when we took the keys again, he started to tantrum. My friend said "we taught you better that that" and he stopped his tantrum right away, I started laughing and then he did a combination laugh/cry.
    ICPclwnLOV

Answer by ICPclwnLOV at 10:58 AM on Oct. 31, 2008