School Field Trips to see the Nutcracker?

Our local school takes a yearly field trip to see the Nutcracker... I never went when I was a child, my mother wouldn't allow us to go. But I was reading though some of the answers on the Disney question and it made me wonder how many parents wouldn't permit their children to go because they would have to miss class to go.

I never saw a reason for these field trips beyond fun and a chance to miss class. So would or do you let your kids do this kind of thing? Even though they have to miss class to do them. Or do you make them stay in class?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would allow them to go its The Nutcracker of course!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would let my children go. The Nutcracker is a great performance.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Well, of course I'd let them go! When I was in high school and in drama, our drama class did a children's play for the grade school kids every year. Not only would the kids miss to come to the play, it took us 2 days to get through all the grade schools, so we'd miss 2 days of school. Besides, it's elementary, what are they gonna miss, advanced calculus? LOL.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 5:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Field trips here are for specific classes or grades yes, but those who stay still have to attend class and those who go have work which has to be made up...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always let my children go on school field trips. They are not missing a day of school as their entire class is going on the field trip and those students that are not allowed to go by parents end up either sitting in the principal's office for the day or doing busy work in either a high or lower grade classroom.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Of course I would let them go, children need to have fun sometimes at school too.
    prettybaby1

Answer by prettybaby1 at 5:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My class went every year, the whole point of a field trip to get out of school and do something fun and educational. I would definitely let them go see it. It's a cool ballet and they would really enjoy it.
    MirandaPage

Answer by MirandaPage at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Culture and Art are part of education, so yes, I would allow my child to attend.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My children have never had make up work for class when having gone on a full class school sanctioned field trip.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• You are not MISSING class if you go on a field trip. The WHOLE CLASS goes on it too. Thats part of the lesson plan/schedule for the day. We went when I was in 3rd grade.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010