Do you "tune-up" your computer?

No category for this type of question - so here goes into Money & Work ...

Excerpts from - Limber up your sluggish PC, by Eric A. Taub, the NY Times online.

It’s important to run antivirus software regularly. Microsoft offers MS Security Essentials, free antivirus software available from Microsoft.com. Mr. Ackerman recommends another free program, AVG Free (free.avg.com).

To avoid leaving any fragments of applications on the drive after you remove a program, use the application’s own removal tool, rather than just putting the program icon in the trash. If you don’t have the tool, do an Internet search for “[program name] removal tool.”

Defragment your hard drive.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not so much anymore, now that I have a Mac. I hadn't run a defrag on this HDD since I got it...funny I had to to run XP in BootCamp. I haven't have AV, AM, or AS software on here...ever. (and also have not been infected)
    But yeah, when I ran Windows, I did all that crap every week. Disk Cleanup, Defrag, Filesniffer...blah blah blah...took up most of a day.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do once a week.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yes computers run better this way.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My anti-virus runs daily and my anti-malware along w/defrag. etc. is once a month. I have what I tend to call a "dinosaur" pc and it still runs like a charm. After my once a year crash, that is..haha It's very important to keep up with all the updates. I keep hearing that a Mac is so much better, but I'm afraid of change. Thanks for the info! :)
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• yes cpl times a week
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Remove large files like movies that you are no longer using. One easy way for Windows users to do so is to download “windirstat,” (windirstat.info) a program that will help you identify and remove the space-hoggers. Mac users can try Disc Inventory X (derlien.com).

Link to full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/technology/personaltech/28basics.html?src=me&ref=technology
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010