What is your opinion on this?? Do you agree with what the mom has done and is doing??

Here is the link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101029/ap_on_en_ot/us_fea_parenting_my_princess_boy

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• LOL. My brother would haverather stuck a poker in his eye than wear girls' clothing. When we were about 7 or 8 years old I tried to put a skirt on him and he punched me...hard.
    But my grandson dressed up in is sisters' clothes once and they put makeup on him and took pictures.He had a good laugh. But he is all boy,plays baseball and soccer and such. It doesn't matter.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it. From what I read there the boy is dressing how he wants to and she is simply supporting him.. I don't see anything wrong with that. My boys have dress up clothes, skirts, purses and all - I've never stopped them from wearing them... Now, because their father would flip, I don't take them to WalMart that way, but I wouldn't care if they did... Clothes are meant to be a covering - as long as they are covering all that needs to be covered, there isn't any reason to care what those chosen clothes are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think it's great, My DD's older brother (my step son from a previous marriage) used to dress is girls clothes all the time. He loved wearing my jewelry, my dress up clothes..make up. He just thought it was so fun. Well...he is a teen now. He is into theatre, but he certainly is not gay. Has been dating the same girl for 2 years.

I used to love playing with him & all the dress up stuff, it was fun & i miss it. I see no problems with it at all.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I couldn't get past "I mean a 2-year-old has not a clue as to whether they're boy, girl, fruit, vegetable or a rock." WTF does that have to do with anything? This only shows how much emphasis we put on gender roles and stereotypes. I think this mom is doing a good thing. Let children be children. However, I do fear the outcastness so I refuse to let my sons wear such clothing out until they understand the possible repercussions.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 5:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• How do they know that the child is gender defiant at such a young age? Phase perhaps?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do not see a problem with it. Little girls are allowed to dress like little boys all the time and its "ok" but the other way around its not? There is way to much gender sterotyping anymore and we teach our children what is for girls and what is for boys...whats wrong with breaking those sterotypes?
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• BUT....I must say that "my Princess Boy"...makes me sick. I don't like "Princess Girl" either. Any Princess is fakey and pretentious and nauseating. The poor kid. And she puts jewelry and girls' clothes on him? I hope it was his idea first and ...not just her. You can't really know....she might be nuts.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If he is doing as he wishes then I commend her for supporting him. As to how they know he is gender defiant, they don't know if its a phase but if it isn't then it would be detrimental for the mom to react negatively. If it is a phase he will grow out of it knowing his mother supports him.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I have twin 5yr old nephews who are "manly little rough housing wrestling dirty little boys". They also have a lil sister and about 6 billion women in their family. From time to time they play dress up with their sister and even sometimes on their own will carry her lil purses around and what not. When I asked them why they wear princess dresses they told me "cause they're pretty". Children should be able to have fun and form their own opinions.
    My lil men like to wear shiny necklaces sometimes and by God if anyone ever tries to make them feel bad or wrong for it they will deal with the wrath of Auntie Apryl for it.
    Life is short ...let them wear pink.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 1:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2010