Why can't I stay away from the sweet stuff in the evening?

I hate it, hate it, hate it.
It's like my brain shuts down and before I know it it's in my mouth.
I am exercising regulary. I don;t loose weight, I don;t gain any at the moment. I would like to look better, but I don't feel bad. I often wonder if I should just settle for staying overweight.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I know my problem with the sweets in the evening is that I am over tired, bored, and usually not drinking enough water at that time. We have started going for a long walk after dinner and that seems to be helping.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Because you have it in your house.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If I'm craving something that I know I shouldn't eat late at night, I chew gum. It helps a lot.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• that's the truth, if you are willing to honestly analyze yourself. If not, just keep living in a lie. Sorry, but someone has to be honest with you. A kick in the butt is a step forward.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 5:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I really had to stop and ask myself if I was really hungry. Sometimes I'd already started eating the ice cream but it finally started when I opened the refrigerator door before I put something in my mouth. Most times I would say I was not hungry, something else was driving me, habit, mood? So once I could honestly say I wasn't hungry I'd walk away and turn on some music and dance or take a walk - just do something to get my mind elsewhere. Then I started keeping a fruit bowl on the table with red and green apples, oranges, plums, etc and if I could not resist eating I would grab fruit. It took awhile but now I have to have fruit daily. I love it now. There are a few other things I've changed and it's helped alot. So if I can do it you can too! Don't give up, start making some small changes just don't stop! And it's not a 'die't it's a lifestyle of eating healthy. Keep a food diary--late thought there :-)
    ChristenaH

Answer by ChristenaH at 9:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Either don't keep it in the house, or keep some 100 calorie packs of something if you can stop yourself at one pack. At least you'll be aware of how many calories you're taking in.

Answer by missanc at 7:20 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Thanks glenndoir, that really helped. Duh.
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• OMG it is a big pain to loose weight. I am on a serious diet. I really hate it. I think of food every minute of every day. Ugggh. I did find some low cal. snacks. I don't ordinarily care about snacks. But I found a few good sweet ones. You can not eat the whole box. One is fudgecicles. They have 40-60 calories and taste yummy. Make sure you get the sugar free ones. Then weight watchers has two really good ice cream (probably more) treats. One that I love is a sand-which and the other is similar to the fudgecicle.
    I am telling you what my cardiologist told me "you have to be a Nazi with your diet"... Sheesh. watch it everything can change the weight loss.
    So if you want to send me what your doing, an example of your food intake I can look at it and tell you how to change it. Watch your portions. That is hard for me. I take too much food. To stop my self from eating after I am full I give my plate to my dog. lol.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh yeah one more think I love is these sugar free hard candies sometimes those can keep me from eating almost anything! I got them at walmart in the candy isle. And I allow my self in the afternoon one A&W diet root beer. It is so yummy. So far so good.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It would help if you don't buy it. Do balance your diet with natural sweet fruit so that your body doesn't crave process sweets as much.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2010