Trying not to panic,,,cant make rent, what do I do

Got in over my head this month. Car broke down and repairs put me over. Landlord has been very ill and son took over finances and didnt process my rent till Oct 20th. What do I do..Im a single working parent by the way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Contact the landlord and be honest about your situation. They may be willing to work something out with you.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 8:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Don't know what state you are in, but my first thoughts are St. Vincent DePaul and the Salvation Army. They have a one-time rent payment for people who have a need.
    mommyx9

Answer by mommyx9 at 6:03 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Contact local churches and such asking for help.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Check for emergency assistance in your area usually local churches, salvation army etc... have some sort of 1 time emergency assistance program
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 5:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Im sorry hun, Im in the same boat this month too. Try looking around the house for anything you can sell or pawn. I know its no fun, but sometimes you just gotta.
    mandapanda942

Answer by mandapanda942 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• im in the same boat as well, ask friends and family if you can borrow a little or sell something, just please be legal about what you do
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Go to your local DSS and see if they can help you...Talk to your landlord and see if you can negotiate with him/her to split the missed month over the next two months...My landlord has let me do that when times got really hard since I was a good tenant and always paid my rent on time up till then.
    STEVESBELLA4EVR

Answer by STEVESBELLA4EVR at 5:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I am a landlord. When tenants are a little short on the rent, they sometimes do some work for me. It depends on what their profession is.
    You might ask.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• thank you, we have lived here for almost 5 years, and Ive never been late . Actually my landlord passed away on Monday and now Im supposed to make rent out to son from now on. Im so embarrased, but pride comes before the fall. I will talk to him...thanks ladies. Ive known since Monday and I havent talked to anyone about it, just been really scared.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would talk to the landlord. If you are a model tenant...they should be open to helping you out. good luck!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010