Why can't middle-aged women have long hair?

Interesting article on the subject: An essay by Dominique Browning last Sunday about her decision to keep her hair long in her mid-50s (“Flying a Long Flag of Rebellion”) drew an unusually large response from readers, with more than 1,200 comments posted on the Web site of The New York Times. Here is a sampling.

Link to full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/fashion/31readers.html?ref=style

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I'm 49 and have long hair, and I'd say at least half of my middle aged friends and family also have long hair. I think those rules are outdated. Look at a lot of the movie stars into their 40's, 50's and even older with long hair. Demi Moore, Jayne Semyour, Jaclyn Smith, many older women feel that they can wear their hair long these days....I love my long hair....and so does my husband......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I say do whatever pleases you and who cares what others think.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Beats me.

I'm middle aged and I have long hair.

Most of the middle aged women I personally know (friends/family) have long hair.. Especially family on my husband's side, they are Sikhs and do not cut their hair.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i think they can as long as they keep it nice. no dead ends and keep it styled maybe with a little volume or layers.. when you're younger i think its easier and more excepted to have little or no style to ur hair but as you get older you should establish a look or style for yourself..
    Lecie415

Answer by Lecie415 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• They can, as long as it's well taken care of. If it's not taken care of and/or if you're balding/thinning out, consider cutting it. It will flatter you much more to have a style that suits you.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 5:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I don't really care how long other people's hair is, it's their hair, they can do what they want. I mean it doesn't bother me when people "break the rules" about hair length and age. I have longish hair and plan to keep it that way when I'm old.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 5:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I think that some women (of ANY age, whether they're 6, 16, 36, 60, etc.) look so good with longer hair, but some just don't look right with longer hair. I think it's nice to see women middle aged and older with longer hair. I think that gray hair that's long is sooo pretty if it's healthy. However, I think that REALLY long hair looks bad on almost everyone (like past the hips)..
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Im 45 and have long hair and when I get tired of it I will cut it short, That a choice each person has to make on their own
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I think it is silly to say you have to have short hair after a certain age. If your hair will grow, I think you should do what you want with it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have short hair and it is just easier to deal with. The long hair was making me look older.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2010