Does anyone know if there are documented cases like this??

I'm watching a movie about the Spanish Inquisition... And the opening scene showed them digging up a corpse, hanging and whipping it because the dead man had been found a heretic and the punishment was the same even after death...

I'm well aware that fiction is fiction, but I also know that truth is stranger than reality, and they had done a decent job at being historically accurate on other points in the movie (of course not all of it) but that got me to wondering if this too was a reality or not...

Anyone know?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've never heard of that happening, but I also haven't read a lot about the Spanish Inquisition. I don't think watching Monty Python counts. LOL But if it's true, that is just really, really awful to imagine.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Never heard that before but I wouldn't have put it passed them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 6:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

That's kinda what I was thinking...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've never heard of it, but I also haven't studied the Spanish Inquisition very heavily. It doesn't sound like something that flows with RC beliefs, so I would error on the side of fiction, but beyond that I really don't know.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've read something about someone's remains being dug up and done something to, but I can't remember who's at the moment, only that it was religiously related.... I'll have to look it up now, lol - I'm scared I'm misremembering because I'm so tired. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I do not know, I do know that the Spanish Inquisition is notorious for its atrocities, so I wouldn't necessarily doubt it.
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 11:54 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I have no idea, since I haven't really studied it. Again, I woudn't automatically dismiss it either.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 30, 2010