Weaning my nursing 9 month old

My daughter is 9 months old, still nursing. I've tried on and off since she was 4 months trying to wean her to formula. I've done everything and nothing is working. Could it be too soon to start her on cow's milk? She's already eating soft table foods and fresh fruit. She never really liked the jarred baby foods. But i've been trying cow's milk with her and she seems to like it pretty good. I'm hoping to wean her by 12 months at the latest. But im making sure she gets her full nutritional value with every meal. Just didnt know if its too soon for the cows milk, any suggestions?

Veronica-Lynn

Asked by Veronica-Lynn at 6:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are going to wean before 12 months, it needs to be to formula. Replace one nursing session per week with formula. If you don't want to use formula, I will advise you to NOT wean until 12 months at the earliest. Before 12 months, baby NEEDS the nutrients and calories that breast milk or formula provide. I do recommend nursing longer, in general, BUT, you need to do what works for your family, and if nursing to 12, 18, 24, 36+ months ISN'T working for your family, then do what you have to do. When I first got pregnant, I would never have thought that I'd nurse my first to 14 months, and that my second would still be nursing at bedtime at 3 yrs old... but when it's not planned, and something that you just go with, it's easier, in my experience. Again, do what works for your family, if weaning from the breast is what that is, then you need to use formula until 12 months old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I know you'll see a lot of mixed replies. The current recommendation is 12 months. When I was a baby my ped. switched me to whole milk at just 4 months as was the recommendation then. My 10 month old is on organic whole milk and has been since 9 months. ANd she is perfectly healthy. But she was on formula. I'm sure others will recommend you stay breastfeeding as many do until 2 years or later.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I just don't think i could breastfeed for 2 whole years! lol, I did try her on the Almond milk, you think that would be better than cows milk?
    Veronica-Lynn

Comment by Veronica-Lynn (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Too soon for regular cows milk. You can start introducing it a few weeks before she turns a year, in small amounts. Any chance you can just stick it out a few more months with the breastfeeding?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Okay guys thank you for the answers! I'm going to stick with breastfeeding as long as i can, i just didnt except to nurse her this long lol. And if with my schedule for working/school its hard to nurse, when i pump she doesnt like to drink it either way because its not the same "Ba Ba" lol..
    Veronica-Lynn

Comment by Veronica-Lynn (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2010