why is my son acting like this?????

ok my son is 2 1/2 years old and he is just a holy terror.i tried corners and just talking but the only thing i found that worked is swatting his bottom. i know some of you moms may say that sounds bad but i dont really want to do it-but thats the only thing that i found that has worked.... ANY advice i would be happy to get.

ldc90

Asked by ldc90 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what exactly is he doing?
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 6:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• my DS has been the same way and swatting doesn't work but neither does anything else...uug!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• he will just scream and yell for hours, knock stuff off tables on purpose-if for some reason he dont feel like feeding himself and i dont spoon feed him he will freak out- he hits and throws and rough houses the kittens if i let him he would destroy everything he gets his hands on. throws food, spills drinks (on purpose) sometimes he refuses to clean up his messes and just throws MAJOR fits to where i dont know if i can do it sometimes.
    ldc90

Comment by ldc90 (original poster) at 6:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would get him evaluated by a doctor. It could be an emotional issue. Hitting doesn't teach a child that young anything except that you are willing to hurt him.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 6:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Do you spend enough one on one time with him? He may be going for the negative attention if he is not getting enough positive attention. Also praise him when he does things right. That goes a long way. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I understand why you would think that swatting his bottom would help.. and you say it's the only thing that works...but obviously it doesn't because his behavior keeps happening. Showing him the right way to do things may help. Congratulating him while he does something good and making it a big deal that he was being a good boy may help as well. Kids LOVE being praised and feeling good that they did something right and I would be if he gets that a lot he will start being a bit better. I am not a big fan of time outs but I do feel that it may work for some. If he does something wrong give him the option to either fix it or time out and if he chooses not to fix his behavior then time out...and stick with it. If he gets up put him right back down until he has been sitting quietly for a couple minutes. But ALWAYS talk about what he did wrong and how you want him to act and how not only it makes you feel but how he may be feeling.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 6:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i really dont think you should be hitting him.
    thats a normal way for young toddlers to show there emotions. ask your DR.
    its also called the terrible twos.
    you can hit him for being a child.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• DD is the same age, more play time with kids her age has helped. I also give her the option time out or spanking and she usually sits down on the spot. Than she has to count to 10, 20, or 30 depending on what happened. Then she gets up and almost everytime moves on to something new and not bad.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 6:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Honestly what I would do is when he has a major fit, I would escort him to his room or a safe spot. I would get down to his eye level and then tell him in a calm voice "when you are done acting like this I will come and get you" and then I would leave him in there alone until he calmed down. When he was calm I would go and get him and then praise him for being a good boy. Also I would not ever feed him from a spoon, anything older than 15 months is way to old to be getting fed that way. When he starts throwing food I would take it away and say "okay I guess you are done" and it would be over and done with. He will catch on eventually that you are not going to tolerate those behaviors... also you should praise him as much as possible when he is behaving well.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I start tapping hands as soon as they start walking and getting into things and my kids have always been well behaved
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2010