What Bible version works best for you?

For me it's the NIV. I absolutely love it! What about you?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Okay, please don't take offense to this, but your question makes me want to ask. If there are different versions, how can you call it the true word of God? I mean, I'm assuming you don't believe he dictated a couple of different versions, right? This is NOT to start drama, I'm honestly curious about the reasoning behind that...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I really like the New KJV. Although I've also used the NIV. When I was in a Beth Moore study, that's what she uses, and I started using it, to keep up with her, but, recently, my DH and I bought us new Bibles through the church,and we got NKJV's this time.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Anouck, for me, it's not really that the different versions have different meaning, or anything, they just put the original words in easier context. It's easier to understand "you", instead of "thou", since we really don't use that language anymore. I've used several different versions, and as I said, I really don't see that much difference, except in being able to understand the original a little better. Hope that helps a little.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• There are TONS of versions of the Bible and that's why one has to be careful to stick to one that doesn't veer off too much from the original translation. Different versions exist so people can understand scripture better :-)
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I use a New King James version for my carry Bible, but I prefer using an online Bible source like http://www.biblegateway.com/ so that I can compare translations when I do Bible study at home. 

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Gotcha, jaycietaylorgma, thanks.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Sure, anouck.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Anouck

"Versions" are different from "translations." GENERALLY speaking the various translations of the Bible have not taken away from it's overall message. Different translations are made in order to maintain and/or improve readability WITHOUT changing the message. "Versions" implies that each translation has a different message - that is not true.

OP

I use several translations - ESV is the main one. HCSB, the Amplified, the NASB are all ones I like to use. I also have software which gives me the original Greek manuscripts (NT and Septuagint). I don't like the NIV because it is a though-for-thought translation, and seems to miss the mark on several key verses throughout. The ESV is a word-for-word translation direct from the original manuscripts.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh wow Gal51, I did not know that. I will have to research some more and check out an ESV Bible. Thanks!
    mz_erica03

Comment by mz_erica03 (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010