if a friend or family member invites you to lunch/dinner and offers to pay....

Even when someone says "get whatever you like"... or if you always take turns buying for each other do you get whatever you want on the menu no matter what the price or do try to keep it cheap? Just curious at what people do?

I always order water and order cheap. I would never order something expensive for someone else to cover even if they did tell me to get whatever. Today my MIL invited some of us to go out to eat and said she would cover the bill and not to worry to get whatever...well my cousin ordered a coke, a 16.00 meal, and 6.00 piece of pie for dessert!! I just thought that was so rude. My part was only 7.99...in fact, everything my cousin ordered was just about the total of everyone else combined.

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• I usually order about the same as I would if I were paying because I tend to each cheap anyway. I agree with you, it is pretty rude to run up that much on someone else's tab.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always try to keep it reasonable and appreciate being invited!!!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always get something inexpensive and order water too when someone says they will buy me lunch or dinner. I would have been embarassed ---your cousin was really greedy , wasn'' t she? Wow.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I always get water too and a cheap meal
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Ya your cousin was being pretty greedy
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• it depends on who it is and how there financial situation is. lol.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:43 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I generally order water...maybe iced tea. And I'll pick two meals, and base what I get off of what they order. Meaning I may pick one around $8 and one around $12...if they go for something higher than $12, I might order the $12 meal...if they get something around $10, I'll go for the $8. Generally I at least keep it under what they order...and appetizers and/or dessert are up to them...
    dlandrum

Answer by dlandrum at 6:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would order what I would normally order. I won't order something expensive just because someone else is paying but I'm not going to order something super cheap because of it either. If someone offers to pay it's because they want you to enjoy yourself. If money is the issue we can just stay in and eat and enjoy our time together.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I can't stand when people take advantage like that. I am very careful to order an inexpensive option and a water. Unless of course I go out with my in-laws. They are rolling in dough so I get whatever I want and my husband encourages it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'm with you, your cousin obviously doesn't care. Rude is putting it lightly.
    hmhmom

Answer by hmhmom at 6:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010