Is 23 months too early to start time out??

Jersismom

Asked by Jersismom at 9:26 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• are you serious? my son is 19 months and we started that a couple of months ago! so no, that's not too early
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• nope. 1 minute for each year of age so go with 2 minutes since 23 months is almost 2 years.
    Anonymous

• Lord no, you can actually start it way earlier than that. Just keep the time out area the same and where there are no distractions. Stick with the rules you set for time out, such as the time the child has to sit there. Also, dont give up and make sure if the child resists sitting in time (which they will), you set them right back there to let them know you're serious. They will learn to get it.
    Anonymous

• i think it is the PERFECT time to start, i have a 23 month old, i started her last month, and she is just getting the attention span for it, it gives her time to CALM DOWN!!! Good luck with it!! its heart breaking
    Cecilydw

Answer by Cecilydw at 9:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• About 14 mos I start mine. I time out for some things and spank a hand or hiney for others.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:49 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• No I think it's a perfect time to start. I started with all of mine and grandkids, at about 18 months. Just 1 minute in time out. They all know about it now. My 2 year old grandson was playing with a rubber snake, he acted like the snake bit him, then said "No biting, sit in time out chair" and he put the snake in the time out chair and even went to the microwave to set the timer! It was so cute!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 31, 2008

• no....you need to get over the month thing now! He's going to be 2 yrs. old!! when you say that, it's obvious he's old enough. 23 months old does sound young compared to 2 yrs. old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Oct. 31, 2008