thinking about getting a place with my boyfriend

I have been seeing my boyfriend for over a year now, and we are talking about marriage pretty seriously, I was married once before, and my husband left us with no word, and havent heard from him since, when our son was 5! I am obviously hesitant to get married,I I think it would be a good idea to move in together first, he lives in Brooklyn and his place is too small, I live in Manhattan and that could work or we might get a new place together, what do you guys think? I am also concerned on how it mat effect my son who is in high school.

dandeecandi

Asked by dandeecandi at 7:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Ask your son.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If your son is in HS..I would consult with him about how he would feel about it. If he is uncomfortable you should wait. HS is hard enough without emotinal drama and yupheaval at home too.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree with asking your son, if you don't have to uproot him, it would work out better for him. GL and good for you for being cautious,

zbee

Answer by zbee at 7:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Wait until your son graduates from high school and is out of the house.
    Anonymous

• If you are going to do this I would wait until your son gets out of high school. so it would not affect your son's life. You may think it would not but it will. Please take this in.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• oh for goodness sake, i have a seven yr old son and if my son was in high school i would do what i want -- obviously explain things to him, but kids survive--see how his grades are and all, but tell him abotu why and maybe he will even agree! mayeb he will love the idea. HEY i am from brooklyn and a NYC native!! hello! my parents are still up there but i moved sillily to the middle atlantic area. yay...! lol
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I wouldn't do it just because I wouldn't set that kind of example for my kids - that it's okay to have sex outside of marriage. But that's just me.

Answer by missanc at 8:20 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Wait until your kid moves out. What is so hard about that? Then you can do whatever you want. Really try to put yourself in his shoes.
    squish

Answer by squish at 5:02 AM on Oct. 30, 2010