For those who remember the '80s and '90s I have a couple of questions

I feel too young because I almost totally missed the '80s (so sad, 10/1989).... I've noticed that in movies from the '80s and '90s if they show a magazine like Cosmo, it looks like it's 3 times as thick as the ones now. Is that just the way it looked on film, or were they bigger then?

Also, did anyone see "The House on Sorority Row" (came out in '83, I think) AND "Sorority Row" (came out a couple of years ago)? Is the newer one just a remake of the old one, or are they two totally unrelated movies with similar titles?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Entertainment

• Cosmo was thicker back then because Helen Gurly Brown was still the editor and the magazine had substance. The Cosmo of today is NOTHING like the magazine used to be.

Yes, it's a remake. This is straight from the IMDB site: "Sorority Row is a remake of The House on Sorority Row (1983). The script for The House on Sorority Row was written by Mark Rosman (who also directed the movie) and screenwriter Bobby Fine. Their script was readapted for Sorority Row by screenwriters Josh Stolberg and Pete Goldfinger."

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• First question, yes Cosmo was uber thick back then. Maybe they just had more to tell you back then lol Other question, no idea.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Love the 80's! The best movies came out during that time!
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• About the magazines. They were much thicker then. There was more advertising, which pays for more articles. In todays economy, many magazines have bitten the dust, and others have cut way back, because the companies that formerly advertised have cut back. Advertising drives magazines. Subscription prices only cover a small part.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:37 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

•  As far as the movies, look them up at IMDb. You should be able to find the info about each film. Here you go, click here: http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=The%20House%20on%20Sorority%20Row

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 8:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've read about both of them (watching The House on Sorority Row now), and they sounded like totally different movies, but one person I was talking to about them said that Sorority Row was a remake. They sound like there's a similar story line, but not identical, so I figured I would ask more people who have seen both to find out for sure.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010