Government Help...What Do You Think?

If a working US citizen wants to get anything from the government, they are required to take a drug test. So here's an idea to cut back on on government help to those on public aid: Anyone who asks for help should be required to take a drug test. If they qualify for help AND pass the drug test, they will get help. If they qualify but DON"T pass the drug test, they get no help. I think that would take care of about 80% of public aid recipients! What do you think???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, except for the poor innocent little kids!
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• some states already do that...

and you are really stereotyping people on assistance and that is extremely offensive.

I hope you never run into hard times and need to apply for assistance, reality will hit you then when people are calling you the lazy drug addict.
    Anonymous

• Amen to that. I know alot of families that refuses to even apply for any goverment help even though they need it sooo much and deserve it. There are so many people out there taking advantage of the system and unfortunately gets away with it.
    Anonymous

• I am the one who asked the question, and I did go through hard times and applied for public assistance. They denied me because I was temporarily unemployed for three months. I was returning to work when I was released by my doctor. I guess I was supposed to starve for three months??? That's what the government did for me. In my experience in the world through my jobs, I have seen the people on public aid and see that there are generations of famiilies that are on public aid their entire lives. It's a way of life for them. I am not sterotyping all public aid people, just the many that abuse the system!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• That is a great idea ! Whether or not it would cut down on the number of aid recipients, I like that it would probably encourage a lot of people to get clean, at least once in a while.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I, too, am offended by this stereotype of people who recieve government assistance. I get food stamps and cash assistance as well as medicaid for my family because my husband works and I'm a stay at home mom who is also going to school. My husband and I both work hard, but the governement help makes it possible for our family to get by...and by no means are either of us lazy drug addicts or anything remotely similar to that. Not to mention, have you ever thought of the fact that someone who WAS addicted to drugs or alcohol or whatever it is could be clean and need help getting back on their feet and back into a relatively normal society? Because that does happen. But truthfully, not EVERYONE who has to walk into the Human Services office is some low down street hoodlum who doesn't deserve the help that they are getting.
    Anonymous

• I don't think its really stereo-typing. She maybe knows of people that are doing drugs and getting government assistance because they can't get a job.
    There are lots of poeple out there that really needs this kind of assistance and they are also many that is taking advantage of it.
    Anonymous

• although I do believe there needs to be something done to stop the abuse by some ppl on government assistance... it is wrong to assume that 80% are on drugs.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yeah, so they just don't do drugs for a day or so if they know when the test is. Easy as that. Just b/c, they don't come up positive doesn't mean they're not a user. So even though I believe that is a good thing, I don't know if its the best way to weed out the bad ones. I think there needs to be stricter laws to get just getting "Free Money." Including the drug test, but also more requirements.
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 10:21 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• , too, am offended by this stereotype of people who recieve government assistance. I get food stamps and cash assistance as well as medicaid for my family because my husband works and I'm a stay at home mom who is also going to school. My husband and I both work hard, but the governement help
    I am in the same situation. Can you tell me how to get assistance? I really need to
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 10:22 PM on Oct. 30, 2008