6 month old not wanting to nurse

My 6, almost 7 month old seems to be weaning herself. She is completely not interested in nursing, but will down a bottle in no time at all. She is my 3rd and last, so I was hoping to nurse for longer, but she seems to have other ideas. I'm feeling really down about it, b/c i am not ready to be done....but, she seems to be. I have been trying to pump, but I'm thinking my pump isn't working right. I tried pumping 1st thing in the morning and I only got 2 oz total. When she takes a bottle she easily takes 4-6oz. She is now getting to the point that when she sees the boob she starts screaming. =( What should I do??

jodibu

Asked by jodibu at 9:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is getting bottle then that is probably why. bottles are easy. she doesn't have to work at them like w/ nursing. And what you pump is NOT indication of what she gets when she nurses. So don't judge anything by that. Do you NEED to pump, like for work? Because if not then you need to stop the bottles all together and just nurse her. She may fight a bit but she will nurse when she sees that is the only option.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 9:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Is there a NEED for bottles? Bottles should be ONLY when you are not there. I'm afraid you're going to have to outstubborn her here though. If you want to continue nursing, you HAVE to stop the bottles. She won't starve herself. This is sort of a nipple/flow preference slash nursing strike combo...You CAN get her back to exclusive breast, but it will take work and you need to be persistant. I think there is an article on kellymom.com called back to breast, or something similar. Check it out. Also, get in contact with your local La Leche League, and try to attend their meeting. You need support, and they can offer that. Tell me more about when and why she is getting bottles. When giving a bottle, baby needs only 1 to 1.25 oz per hour... so if she's taking a 4 to 6 ounce bottle, that should be for a 4 to 6 hour period. It's easy to overfeed with a bottle, since it flows easily.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• sounds like a 'nursing strike'....google it...it happens a lot at 6 mos....my nephew did the same thing to my sis so she stopped BFing but we learned about nursing strikes later....have you tried a nipple shield? maybe baby would settle for a nip[ple shield for w hile so you can get him back on the breast and then slowly transition off of it....GL!! and its awesome that you made it this long!!....dont beat up on yourself if its over....sounds like youve done a great job : )
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If you are with her all the time, then, at least for right now, you need to nurse for EVERY feeding. If you are apart, then THAT is the ONLY time she gets anything other then the breast. Again, give me some more info, and feel free to ask me anything.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• oh....yea, what Krysta said....contact LLL or a lactation consultant at your local hospital or call your obgyn
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

Not just a lactation consultant though, as many don't have the proper training. If your going to see/speak to an LC, make sure it's an IBCLC (internationally board certified lactation consultant). Next to that, LLL leaders are also good resources, and many ARE IBCLC's.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• She gets 3 bottles a day....2 bottles of formula where she gets her reflux medication and one bottle at the sitter's when I"m at work. So far the bottle at the sitter is stored breastmilk and occasionally formula if she still seems hungry and there is not enough breastmilk. However, I am now just about out of my frozen breastmilk and since pumping hasn't been going well...I don't know what to do. I really would like to continue nursing. How do I wait out the crying and horribly sad "why are you doing this to me?" looks? The other issue I have is that I have 2 other kids and the 3 yr old is home with me during the mornings and she will not nurse at all if he is around (she is super social).
    jodibu

Comment by jodibu (original poster) at 9:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My daughter did this too. I would nurse her in a dark room with no distractions. Try nursing when she's tired or just waking up. I got really frustrated and sad but finally at 9 months I asked myself, do I want this or does my baby want this? She's 10 months now and drinking formula through the day and nurses at night (1X) and Im ok with this. Good luck, I sympathize.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 10:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Do you HAVE to give the meds in a bottle? my DS's reflux meds, we were able to just give them to him. Then you would only be having the one bottle at sitter when you're at work.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 30, 2010