Weird question....

A few times in the past few weeks my 16 month old has had bouts of screaming. Like hes in pain. And it seems to be stomach related. He wont let you touch his front torso and screams more if you do. He has regular BMs that arent hard or soft but seemingly just right. My grandma was watching him when the first one happened and since it seemed to be his stomach, she gave him a teaspoon of Maalox. The screaming instantly stopped. Same thing happened today, relentless screaming, teaspoon of Maalox and its all better. What could this be? Heartburn? Does anyone have experience wit this? Acid reflux runs heavy on DH side of the family.

Note: Our pedi told us maalox was ok. She prescribed a mix of maalox and benedryl for him to swallow every 6 hours to help with mouth and throat sores from coxsackie virus, so i know it wont hurt him. He was given 1 teaspoon. The exact amount prescribed for the mouth rinse mixture.

carsonsmommytam

Asked by carsonsmommytam at 9:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If acid reflux runs in the family is it a very valid possibility. I would talk to his ped about trying a daily reflux med to see if it stops. Actually I might try cutting the rich and acidic foods from his diet for a while first. Then think about meds. Pure aloe is supposed to be an excellent natural remedy to reflux.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• No idea, but here's a bump.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I'd bet on the acid reflux. My daughter (13 months) would scream like that and we started giving her gas x and that seems to help. Now we keep her away from gassy foods and she does alot better.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• If he still has sores in his mouth from the virus they may still be painful. My son had the virus and so did i at the same time. It is very painful until the sores go completely away but it could be heartburn as well. just keep a close eye on it especially after everything he eats to see what triggers it.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Even though the maalox worked, I'd take him in to be checked out - or at least call your office. I don't say this to scare you or to make you think your son is deathly sick, but our very dear friends have a 3 year old who, when he was 2, kept pointing at his belly and saying "ow ow!" She took him in and he had a tumor. Thank God all is well and he is considered in remission, but they caught it early. PLEASE don't take this as advice that your child might have a tumor, but please go get him checked out. If the maalox works it is probably fine, but I'd still get him checked out.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• It doesn't sound like reflux to me. Especially if it's his stomach. Reflux is usually painful in the throat. Maybe gas or a food allergy? I would have it checked out. I would be curious as hect....I really have no idea.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Thanks for the advice ladies. Leann, i think the sores are gone but i will definately be checking for them. Mama2000, you didnt scare me...lol..I know it could be alot of things. I think if it keeps happening i will make an appt for him to be seen, or atleast call his pedi and let her know whats going in.
    carsonsmommytam

Comment by carsonsmommytam (original poster) at 1:44 AM on Oct. 30, 2010