Is it wrong to lock my 2 year old son in his bedroom?

I know this sounds wrong, but for his safety we have always locked his door, until recently when he broke the door, (it is an accordion style door)
He would not stop getting out of his room! I want to teach him to stay, but at the same time, I want him safe in his room!
My inlaws think its wrong. What do you all think!? What should I do?

BenjisMom627

Asked by BenjisMom627 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try a gate
    Anonymous

• my kids learned to climb over the gates. so yes, at night I do lock their door so that my house is not destroyed during the night or in the morning.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• I agree with your inlaws. When is he getting out of his room that it's such a problem?
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 10:15 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• BTW I only do it at night or sometimes during the day if one is napping and the other is not and I don't want the awake one waking up the sleeping one, I'll lock the napping one in there.
    flutterfae

• why the hell would you want your kid to STAY in his room? That makes no sence what so ever. I agree with the inlaws as well.
    Do you just not want to watch him so you want to keep him in his room? I am really confussed by this
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• He gets out at bedtime, and naptime, he will not nap unless I lock his door,
    Maybe its discipline I need help with. I am as stern as I can possibly be without scaring him telling him to get back in bed! Im so lost!
    Im just afraid he will get into something if he wakes up before us.
    BenjisMom627

Answer by BenjisMom627 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• wow! judgmental much ladies?

geez, I posted above why I lock my kids' door...
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Personally, I wouldn't lock my children in their rooms. I would just feel weird doing it.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• my son has a walk through baby fence that keeps him from breaking out of his room so i can still see what he's doing the only time his door is closed is when he's sleeping. i suggest a baby gate the walk through ones by summer are really nice
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• OMG THAT Sounds so wrong!!!
    i meant at BEDTIME AND NAPTIME!!!!!!!!
    BenjisMom627

Answer by BenjisMom627 at 10:19 PM on Oct. 30, 2008