Obama approval/ attempted attacks?

So from my experience in this section, if a terrorist attack is successful it is said that the President did not keep us safe. I have also heard that Bush "kept us safe" after 9/11. So I can assume if the bombs had gone off in the US, we would have seen Obama blamed for not protecting us. So the question is, Did Obama keep us safe or will people find a way to spin this to fit their hatred of Obama even though they have used this exact example to praise other presidents?

trippyhippy

Asked by trippyhippy at 9:25 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• O and natesmom, I have never denied saying that about you. In fact I stand behind it..you lie about ME everytime you log into CM. Your ignorance is astounding and matches only Grace's. Both come on here and share your HATERED

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2010

• At this point I have no idea who has kept us safe. It's policies that are in place that caught the issue from today. Were those policies a part of Bush's administration, or are they from the current administration? Furthermore, did our govt. have prior knowledge of the attack (won't bother calling it attempted since actual explosives have been confirmed)? I really don't think Obama or Bush are directly responsible for 'keeping us safe'. It's policies and those that follow policies that are working to 'keep us safe'. What does that even mean anymore?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The system worked this time. It was not other passengers or an incompetent terrorist it was the safeguards that are in place and cooperation with our allies. So the President can celebrate the victory. This was well handled. Do I like him now? No.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• People forget about the terrorist attack in 1993 on the World Trade Center by Bin Laden. Clinton didn't do a thing to keep us safe which is why 9-11 was able to happen. There have been many attempts since then, but the policies put in place and constantly tweaked since then has stopped them. We are more diligent. The system developed by Bush may not be perfect, which it can never be since the terrorist constantly change their mode of operation, but it has proven to be better than nothing. Clinton did nothing and 3,000+ died. Bush did something.........no US civilian has died on American soil. Yes, Bush has done more to protect us.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Did Obama keep us safe or will people find a way to spin this to fit their hatred of Obama even though they have used this exact example to praise other presidents?

***
    Based on the claims of his administration that "the system worked" and placating extremists and the countries that protect them, I would say NO, neither Obama or his administration kept us safe...they just got lucky! But I feel this latest attempt is FAR from over! From what I have read/heard thus far, I am guessing yesterday's incidents were not explosive bombs, but rather biological in nature...and that the components were being sent in multiple packages hoping they would be undetectable and were to be assembled in the US at a later time!

I think this was a planned distraction to gauge our response/handling/coordination time. While our military was preoccupied with these incidents, was our country vulnerable anywhere else? THAT is the question!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• and nether did Bush

***
    Bush was not viewed as weak by other countries following 9/11. Obama has YET to impress upon the leaders of other countries that we are strong and determined and a force not to be reckoned with!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• No Obama did not keep us safe. Our military and other agencies did.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Sweets, I was so hoping you would go there....thanks for not disappointing me!! LOL

"U.S. intelligence officials warned last month that terrorists hoped to mail chemical and biological materials as part of an attack on America and other Western countries using the mail. The alert came in a Sept. 23 bulletin from the Department of Homeland Security and obtained by The Associated Press."

http://www.wane.com/dpps/news/national/northeast/authorities-investigating-plane-in-philadelphia-nt10-jgr_3634690

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:34 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• It's asinine to suggest that anyone here wants us to sustain another attack. I understood Lori's post to be pointing out that the reason it hasn't happened on the magnitude of 9/11 isn't for lack of them trying, it's because they have been unsuccessful at detonating their devices. It has nothing to do with our action, but rather luck in our favor. Luck isn't a strategy and at some point our luck will run out. Not hoping it will, just knowing we aren't likely to be lucky every time there is an attempt. It was pretty rude to suggest that she wants people to be killed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:33 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• .....It would involve PLANES , given the NAMES of some of the hi-jackers, and a list of targets that included WTC and the Pentagon....so...he STAYED HIS ASS ON VACATION.....and thats OK with you?

Your security clearance must be really high to know exactly what he was told, what was in the report, and the target list. No wonder you think you know so much inside information. Do they know you are giving away classified information on a forum like this?

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2010