anyone else have a 2 1/2 yr old that isn't doing conversational speaking yet?

Just curious...my son is in speech therapy and we have determined that there is no other underlying issues going on with him...he can tell me everything he wants and can label EVERYTHING he see's...but he is only putting 3 or so words together. (ex. "i want cup" "baby crying") and I can ask him anything, like what he wants to watch on tv, or what he wants to eat for breakfast.
I know he is behind, but when I meet other kids his age, they are either on the same level of my son, or having full conversations with me! what gives? and is he really that behind? when did your kids start REALLY talking to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 1/2 and he doesn't talk that much right now. He can say daddy and mommy and some other simple words. he can tell me what he wants not always by using words but sometimes by pointing or his own words for things. he can repeat words after me but that's about it. I was told that he is behind but not my that much. He is border line as his doctor told me.
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• First of all stop comparing your child. Who cares what other kids can do? My son was still crawling when kids his age and younger were walking. My son still isn't potty trained at 2 yrs and 2 months while some kids were trained at 18 months. what exactly do you want your child to say? If he's not making full sentences by 4 then you have a problem. Otherwise just be glad he can communicate. Remember your child is the best in the world. He's not slow, those other kids are just showing off. lol
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 9:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Drake just turned two Sept 30, and he's just started to say two word sentences, mainly 'Bye-bye, beach", "Again, horsies".

I think kids each develop on their own timeline, and a few months this way or that is nothing to worry about.
    But, I also would have no problem with having him checked out, either. Hope this resolves itself quickly!
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 9:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I've always heard that boys tend to be less verbal than girls, but of course it depends on the individual child. My son wasn't very verbal, and now he hardly stops talking. He's almost 2 1/2, and he can say 3-6 word sentences and repeat just about anything you say--sometimes understanding the meaning of the words, sometimes not. He wasn't that verbal between age one and two though, but he said enough that the doctor wasn't concerned. I remember my aunt telling me about my cousin not talking until he was 3, and when he finally did, he talked in complete sentences. The doctors kept telling her there's nothing wrong with him, he's just being lazy. LOL They are definitely all on their own timetables, it's really hard not to compare and worry, but it's better if you try not to do it too much. Hope he's just getting caught up! :-)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:38 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Dont rush for you child to start talking ...as long you know he understands what your saying ...that shoule inform you he is not slow...just not ready to hear his own voice right now....once he start talking ...you going to wish he could not speak...lol. My toddler is 15 mos and carries on with gibberish words that makes no senses at all right now...i know one day ...when i can understand her words ...im going to say "damn where the gibberish went at.
    FayMeek

Answer by FayMeek at 11:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• My son is 23 months and can talk in 5-6 word sentences, sometimes more. His speech is fairly clear and easy to understand. Your son's speech therapist is your best source of information rather than a bunch of online moms.

Answer by missanc at 7:15 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• m y2 and half yr old says alot of words,but never puts 2 words together..were told she needs speech theraphy,but she dont have any of the red lfags for it,,she sat unupported at 3 months,walking and runny by 7 months,drinking from a cup at 1 and half and using forks and spoons,,so were not to worried,,it may be that they dont talk much becouse they are with us moms all the time and we know what they want so they dont have to talk..lol.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:09 AM on Oct. 30, 2010