How can i potty train my 3yr old

Was wondering if anybody would have any good tips on how i can potty train my 3yr old son? Any advice would be very helpful. I have went through the steps , even made a game out of it, but he still wont go. what else can i do??

ashes331

Asked by ashes331 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm with you! I had my 3 year old son potty trained for 4 months and then he picked up a stomach virus and I had to put him back in pull ups =( he has now completely stopped using the potty. I try and try to get him to go and he refuses and pees on the floor. I've made sticker boards and after he gets 15 stickers or what ever number it is I take him to he toy store and let him pick out a toy ($10 or less) I also let him have 1 piece of candy every time he goes on the potty. He is now pretending he's a baby and (like I said before) refuses to use the potty. Everyone tells me he'll go when he's ready...But I am ready NOW!!!! Good luck to you!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 9:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Thankyou!! I used the candy trick to. I even took him to the store and let him pick out his own big boy underware, and that still did not work.
    ashes331

Comment by ashes331 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Same here. If it helps, I went to the pediatrician last week and she said not all kids potty train that fast. She said encourage but don't push and when he's ready he will. I will say, my son has done it for attention. He'll poop his pants when I'm playing with the baby just to get my attention. It urks me. But I don't show it. He does have days with no accidents though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Ill take him in the bathroom and he will sit for a while, but the minute he gets up and the diaper goes on he will mess him self. makes me so mad. I dont know what else to do. my doctor said he is a boy so he might take longer to get trained.
    ashes331

Comment by ashes331 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yep, that's what Gus did. DOn't let him know you are aggrivated. He knows how to control it, and he wants to do it on his terms. Mommy wants the toilet so he does the pants. Ignore the toilet thing for a few weeks and let him do what ever he's gonna do. He'll come around.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• One mom on here mentioned sitting on the potty in front of the TV and doing coloring together, etc. for a long time. When he goes make a big deal of it! Another mom mentioned the 3 day method. You can Google it and read about itonline. GL!!
    Dr Phil and Supernanny have their methods online also.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:10 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• thank-you ill check it out.
    ashes331

Comment by ashes331 (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• I was really lucky. My daughter turns 4 next month and is fully potty trained (some nighttime accidents but that is to be expected) And my son just turned 3 and is fully potty trained during the day, working on nighttime now.

What I did was quit using pull-ups during the day Big Girl/Boy undies all the way. Invested in a carpet cleaner then set my cell alarm for every 1.5 hours after I gave them something to eat and most importantly drink. When my alarm went off I would tell them "time to potty" make them stop what they were doing and sit on the toilet. If they didnt go withing 2-3 minutes of sitting there I would let them up and try again in 10-15 minutes. I would make a big deal out of it when they did go. And just camly say maybe later if they didnt.

More in another answer...ran out of characters...
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 10:30 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• (#2)
    If they had an accident while playing or engrossed in tv I would explain that it was bad and take them to the toilet. If they KNEW they had to go and didnt go or let me know they got a small spanking and the talk. You will know if they know. They will be walking along then suddnely stop and stand there, go, look for you and try to go back to playing. At least thats how my kids were. They caught on really fast.

Nighttime is a bit different. Nothing to drink except a sip or two at least an hour before bedtime. Potty right before they lay down and potty right when they get up. I do not spank for wetting the bed at night, sometimes they dont know they need to go because they are sleeping so deeply. I will just say next time go to the potty and quietly change the bedding while they sit on the potty incase they need to finish. The timing of the drink is the most important for nighttime training. Hope this helps
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 10:34 PM on Oct. 30, 2010

• Lucas wasnt fully trained until he was a little over 4. They say boys are harder and start later. My son just wouldnt have it. It is so frustrating. I was talking to this gal one day, a former nanny and she said you just have to decide to change. So after much thought and alot of doubt I just put the diapers away. We had about 10 pairs, they went fast so I promtly bought more. At first I checked him every 15 minutes with a timer, then everytime I went, he did too. When at the gym I would watch the clock and check every 15 minutes. Now I dont have to check him. It was also frustrating but we are successful. So we started in May and he uses the potty standing up. He poops alone. I still get the "Mom will you wipe my butt". Pull ups at night and naptime. Keep your head up and decide whether you want to keep trying, dealing with that frustration or deal with diapers. Good Luck!!
    VanessaU

Answer by VanessaU at 1:03 AM on Oct. 31, 2010