Mother-in-law issues again...

Here recently my in-laws moved in with us. That being said, my MIL has decided that what ever I tell the kids, she's going to do the opposite. Like if I say my son has to have shoes, socks, and a jacket to play outside in the leaves my MIL takes him outside with no shoes or socks in a t-shirt and shorts. I've said no candy before dinner, she'll give my kids two or three chocolate bars (not the minis but the standard size).

I've tried talking to her, I've tried getting everyone together and having a family discussion. NOTHING has helped and my DH refuses to throw his parents out.

What can I do so I don't kill her?

SolaraDarkset

Asked by SolaraDarkset at 9:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Relationships

• Contradict her right in front of her and the kids. If she takes him outside..you go take his hand and bring him in, dress him properly then send him back out. If she hands him a candy bar. You take it from him and hand it back to her. Look at your child and tell him to say "No, thank you Grandma. I can't have candy before supper" It is your only choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Take her way out into the country and let her go...
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 9:51 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would do what GrnEydGrandma said in front of my child....but once baby was no longer in the room, MIL would have gotten an ear full! Especially if she's been told/warned more than a few times! GL mama!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• But your foot down you're the mama. I agree with GrnEyedGrandma, because she isn't respecting you and your home. I would ask her why and refuse to allow her to have alone time with the kids and ask her what she would do in your situation. Ask her if someone had ever told her how to raise her son, what was her reaction. Talk to Grandpa, get his input.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• grnEyedGrandma is absolutely right, that is the only thing that you can do. After this happens a few time and she that you aren't going to put up with her disrespecting you and your rules she will stop. If she tries to argue or tell you that they can have "just one" candy bar tell her that these are your rules in your house if she is going to live in your house she doesn't have to like them but she does have to respect them.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• i agree with lots of this. Definitely keep talking to her until she gets it and tell her that if she can't follow the rules that you have set for your children then she can't be trusted to make any decisions for them! good luck with this!
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 11:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I would jerkthe candy out of grama's hand and say you know my rules now quit disrespecting them ur only teaching my kids to disrespect my rules by you disrespecting them. If she tried taking them out w/o jackets or shoes I'd jerk my kids back in and not let them go out and play with her that day..sounds like grama had no discipline in her home as a kid and she was spoiled rotten!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 30, 2010