Is this socialism?

Im am an insurance agent and the concept of insurance is the collect the premiums of many to pay for the losses of a few. And if there arn't any losses which there are several endorsements on policies to almost gaurantee that a loss won't be covered as well as deductibles ( now any insurance agents out there correct me if I am wrong) But this almost seems socialist to me. The point is everyone is have a bird and half about socialism, when we have several things that we all benefi from that have socialst tendancies or is socialist. Whats the big deal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Oct. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I totally agree. I pay monthly car insurance and homeowners insurance so that if something happens to someone else's stuff, the insurance company can pay them.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:24 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• No you pay insurance premiums so you will be covered. You don't pay insurance premiums so that the next door neighbor who doesn't pay for insurance at all is covered when he crashes his car. His victim is covered if he pays for uninsured motorist but the guy who doesn't have insurance doesn't get his car fixed.
    Anonymous

• The USPS is a form of socialism.

However, just because there are forms of socialism that is "acceptable" doesn't mean that all forms are......
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:33 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Yes you will be covered, but you can pay insurance premiums for years and never have a loss, you will never get that money back. Your nieghbor however could have an accident every week and he would be covered thanks to the premiums of you and the rest of us. I think its the same concept.
    Anonymous

• ok, since you are insurance agency. I have a question......we just purchased a home, this guy shows up at my door and just starts taken picuters of the outside of the house. Well we had a tramp set up w/ no fence around it. Never said a word, all of a sudden i get a letter the they are cancelling me because of it. Then I get a check in the mail for the refund of what I already paid. IS THIS TRESPASSING? IS THIS A NORMAL CALL? WHAT DO I DO?
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 10:44 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• SORRY< to change the subject.
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 10:45 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• and the Social Security system is socialism. We all pay into it with our paychecks so that disabled and elderly can get a monthly check. My husband gets $632 a month. over his lifetime, this will more than he ever could have possibly paid into the system . My grandmother gets $700 a month and only worked for 2 months one summer of her entire life. We are all paying her way with our tax money. That's socialism.
    Anonymous

• Socialism enters in when the Government confiscates. ... That is different from a citizen paying money to a company. ... According to the Constitution of the United States, the Federal government is to collect taxes for building roads, providing fire and police and military protection, regulating commerce. (There was an uproar in the country when the Income tax was established.) So, we're already stretching it with an overabundance of social programs. (of course, if taxes weren't so high, we might have more jobs and fewer jobless and homeless people ... ) Now, indeed we do have to help the needy. Some government programs and a lot of charities do this. That is charity. Citizens donate voluntarily. Big issue ... not much room to say more in a post.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:47 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• Remember the insurance law which is actually a form of betting (gambling): The insurance company "bets" you won't need to collect; You "bet" you will. LOL Anon 10:28 was correct in their analogy. If I buy house insurance, it doesn't pay for my neighbor's house who does not pay to be covered. Socialism takes money that one person works hard to make and gives it to the people who had no invested or physical interest in making that money. Socialism was first practiced in 1607 (known as the common-store system). It failed miserably b/c the people knew that even if they did not contribute to the common storehouse, they could still benefit.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:48 PM on Oct. 30, 2008

• The people became idle and instead began to search for gold, instead of setting crops. In 1608 Capt. John Smith took charge and established the policy "...any who would not work should not eat. It was once said "Those that tried to live without working soon found that they must also try that harder thing---to live without eating." What a novel idea. Everyone should work and make their own way! We should try this sometime. :)
    lifeasinoit