BREASTFEEDING.....TRAMATIC RELEASE!!!!!! OUCH...HELP!!!!!! adult content

MY SON IS SIX MONTHS OLD AND TURNS HIS HEAD WHILE HAVING A FIRM GRIP ON MY NIPPLE AND I YELL AND SAY YOUR HURTING MOMMY!!! i DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, HE KEEPS DOING IT!!! I ALWAYS BREAK THE SUCTION WHEN I TAKE HIM OFF BUT HOW CAN I STOP HIM FROM DOING IT UNEXPECTIDLY???? i TRY PUTTING HIM DOWN FOR A FEW MINUTS AND LET HIM YELL FOR MORE MILK HOPING SOME OF THE SORENESS WILL GO AWAY..... AND HE FALLS ASLEEP WHILE NURSING AND AS I GO TO RELEASE HIM IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE HE'S BITING DOWN WITH HIS GUMS.......HELP!!!!!!

MichelleBabyBoy

Asked by MichelleBabyBoy at 10:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yeah... that's normal. Once they start teething they love using mommy as a chew toy. Just keep popping him off whenever he bites down, try not to yelp or give any sort of reaction, because sometimes they think that's hilarious. This phase typically does not last long, thank God.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I agree. You have to keep pulling him off so that he realises that you are not a "chew toy". also maybe try a different position then the one you're in when he does this to you. Best of luck.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 11:08 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Instead of pulling him off, pull him in towards you - cut off his air just enough to get him to let go. Much better than pulling him off - he'll let go on his own and learn a lot faster! Hold him in a better hold too so he can't pull away like that, nurse him in a dark quiet room with no distractions too.
    Anonymous

• Pulling DD in worked better for me- I tried unlatching and walking away, she just got mad and refused to nurse lol- stubborn like her mommy. But pulling her in meant there was no way she could clamp down, as her mouth was FULL. I would just latch her like that and hold her tight the whole time when she was teething really bad, or pulling back a lot. It helped her with latching/unlatching properly too :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:46 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• omg Anon @ 11;20pm wtf are you thinking ? Suffocating a child like that is cruel and stupid!
    Nameismommy

Answer by Nameismommy at 4:29 PM on Nov. 1, 2010

• It doesn't actually suffocate the child; I had it explained to me by an IBCLC (she suggested it to me and I wondered the same thing)- it causes the child to have to open their mouth up wider as more of the breast is pushed in. It LOOKS like it could cause problems with breathing, especially if you have large breasts and the child's nose gets pressed into the tissue, but that is easily fixed by a) holding the breast under the child's nose down with a finger or b) angling the child's head back a little more- that worked well for us both with the nose covering issue and the top teeth issue later on.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010