How much would you pay a photographer to do your family photos?

Iam a Photographer all self tought I read a lot a books and take alot and I mean alot of pictures! Iv never gone to school for it ( and dont plan on it) I had some one tell me I charged to much for someone who didnt go to school for this traid . Just want to know what do you think? would you pay someone who has never gone to school for this or is that somthing that even maders?

tskmom83

Asked by tskmom83 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2010 in Money & Work

• Around here, in the San Francisco Bay Area in California, photographers charge about $300-ish for a 1.5 - 2 hour session for portraits, but those are all people with a BFA degree at least and lots of experience. That also includes a number of prints and maybe the photos on DVD. It really depends on where you are.
    TwoBrownDogs

Answer by TwoBrownDogs at 10:45 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• I under charge, I've been told. My session fee is $50 for up to an hour and 1/2. The hi res disc is $150 which is an amazing deal. My print prices are reasonable but most people simply buy discs which is so much easier for me. I'm in soCal.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 10:57 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• The only amateur photographer we've gone to charged $25/hour, put all the pics on cd (she put ours on a flash drive we gave her) included. I will never go to an amateur, unschooled photographer again, that's all I'm sayin'.
    Anonymous

• http://tskphotos.blogspot.com/ Here is my work! this page also has my rates
    tskmom83

Comment by tskmom83 (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Yeah, way too much for someone who doesn't have any training.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2010

• Oh and from the looks of it your copy right is way to big
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:12 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• The copy right on the blog and other web sites is big so know one call pull the images off the net. When we print or put them on a disk we pull the copy right .
    tskmom83

Comment by tskmom83 (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Oct. 30, 2010

• My SIL is a self taught photographer who has won several awards and competitions. She charges $250/session and disc of the pictures. She doesn't charge us because we're family, but she makes mad money around here!

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Oct. 30, 2010